OG97- Bold faced argument

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG97- Bold faced argument

by y_roy82 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 pm
For bold faced arguments like the one below, the second bold faced part "for a given..." is a part of the sentence which itself is a question. A couple of options state- "second part calls that into question", these options look attractive.

When dealing with such questions are we supposed to ignore the whole sentence and just concentrate on the bold part?

Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to
new technologies powered by electricity.
The question has been raised whether it can be concluded that
for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did
formerly.
The answer, clearly, is yes, since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to
power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of
output is held constant.
In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that
conclusion.
(8) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that
conclusion.
(e) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
(D) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into
question.
(E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by sunnyjohn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm
I use following strategy to solve Bold face questions. I have been quite successful with it.

Step 1: Identify Facts, Premise, and Conclusions.

Fact : Delta Products Inc. has recently switched at least partly from older technologies using fossil fuels to new technologies powered by electricity.

Conclusion: for a given level of output Delta's operation now causes less fossil fuel to be consumed than it did formerly.

Premise: Since the amount of fossil fuel used to generate the electricity needed to power the new technologies is less than the amount needed to power the older technologies, provided level of
output is held constant.

As you can see that - First bold face is a FACT and second boldface is a Conclusion which is supported by Premise.

Normally I look for one bold face statement for which I am 200% sure. For example - In current case I am so sure that 2nd boldface is conclusion.

(A) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion. ( NO - Second bold face is a conclusion )
(B) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion. ( Contender )
(C) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
( No - Second bold face is a conclusion )
(D) The first provides support for the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question. ( No - Second bold face is conclusion )
(E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument. ( No - Second bold face is conclusion).

Its clear the B is the answer. ( you can also confirm it by the fact that FACT was in favor of conclusion ).

Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 am
Totally agree

my answer is B
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 pm
OG97?! Hook me up! Forget OG12!

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 pm
Answer is B.

I do recommend the procedure from SunnyJohn.

If you need more help, I have done a lot of work on Bold face questions. If I chose it right, let me know. I can send you the detailed study for them.