og12 cr sample question 84

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

og12 cr sample question 84

by shoot4greatness » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm
I found this question a little misleading.

84. Many people suffer an allergic reation to certain sulfaites, including those that are commonly added to wine as preservatives. However, since there are several winemakers who add sulfites to none of the wines they produce, people who would like to drink wine but are allergic to sulfite can drink wines produced by these winemakers without risking an allergic reation to sulfites.

The answer explains that sulfines occur naturally in wines. I am not a wine drinker so I wouldn't know. Was I suppose to know or "assume" that sulfites do occur naturally?

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 pm
Hi shoot4greatness ,

Well take the argument very logically like a maths equation . Now lets evaluate wht the argument says :-

--- Ppl suffer alergic reactn to sulf , commonly added to wine [that means wine contains sulf the allergic matter ]

---- Several wine makers do not add sulf to wine ,so ppl who are allergic could drink tht wine .

The conclusion is in bold .

The conclusion says tht wine makers doesnt add sulf hence people who are allergic and like drinking wine can drink that wine .

But what if sulf are naturally occuring in the wine ?? This fact will rip apart the conclusion . The fact that can hamper your conclusion should be the assumption .

Hope that helps .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT