OG12 CR #118

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG12 CR #118

by thp510 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:21 pm
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, the novel aerodynamic design of which is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus' fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing its large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.

OA: E

I thought it was A since the goal of the airline is a quick turnaround. Any rule or regulation that forces to add on time (i.e. "REQUIRE STOPS FOR REFUELING") is a bad thing. I understand direct flights are great but requiring stops for refueling seems to guarantee that time will go by. Also, maybe before Skybus, the flights had to touchdown on the tarmac and then take off a few minutes later since these routes didn't require refueling (which, again, is a given in terms of taking up time). In E, if Skybus only takes off once a day at several different locations, then it wouldn't matter if the rest of the competition gets delayed. That's what I initially took. Therefore this becomes irrelevant and could not "present the most serious disadvantage" for Northern Air. Thoughts?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm
thp510 wrote:I thought it was A since the goal of the airline is a quick turnaround. Any rule or regulation that forces to add on time (i.e. "REQUIRE STOPS FOR REFUELING") is a bad thing. I understand direct flights are great but requiring stops for refueling seems to guarantee that time will go by. Also, maybe before Skybus, the flights had to touchdown on the tarmac and then take off a few minutes later since these routes didn't require refueling (which, again, is a given in terms of taking up time). In E, if Skybus only takes off once a day at several different locations, then it wouldn't matter if the rest of the competition gets delayed. That's what I initially took. Therefore this becomes irrelevant and could not "present the most serious disadvantage" for Northern Air. Thoughts?

Seems you completely missed "Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested." Now if skybus causes turbulence it will make subsequent flight to be delayed.

Option A seems to be out of scope, No where in argument author discussed that Northern Air Stops at Belleville Airport for fueling.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by thp510 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:15 pm
Yeah, I totally missed that part. Damn.
Target2009 wrote:
thp510 wrote:I thought it was A since the goal of the airline is a quick turnaround. Any rule or regulation that forces to add on time (i.e. "REQUIRE STOPS FOR REFUELING") is a bad thing. I understand direct flights are great but requiring stops for refueling seems to guarantee that time will go by. Also, maybe before Skybus, the flights had to touchdown on the tarmac and then take off a few minutes later since these routes didn't require refueling (which, again, is a given in terms of taking up time). In E, if Skybus only takes off once a day at several different locations, then it wouldn't matter if the rest of the competition gets delayed. That's what I initially took. Therefore this becomes irrelevant and could not "present the most serious disadvantage" for Northern Air. Thoughts?

Seems you completely missed "Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested." Now if skybus causes turbulence it will make subsequent flight to be delayed.

Option A seems to be out of scope, No where in argument author discussed that Northern Air Stops at Belleville Airport for fueling.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 pm
thp510 wrote:Yeah, I totally missed that part. Damn.
Never mind.. :)
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 pm
Hi

Please advice why is C wrong?

The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its
destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.

If mechanics loose their jobs how can Northern Air maintain the quick turnaround?

thanks