OG - Verbal Review Question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

OG - Verbal Review Question

by HarryPotter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 am
It is well known in supermarket indeustry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.
a. the frequency of inventory turnovers can be
b. the frequency of inventory turnovers is often
c. the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often
d. how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
e. how frequently the inventory turns over can be

Please let me know the difference between d. and e. in depth.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by galaxian » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:45 am
This Qs was very well discussed here : https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-10-q-93-t12472.html

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by HarryPotter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm
Thank you

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 am
Could someone confirm the reply by gmatperfect @ https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-10-q-93-t12472.html
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of
inventory turnovers can be
crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be
(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often
(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often
(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

First: Parallelism=> How x and how Y is the paralleism. We can eliminate the option A, B, and C.

We are left with D and E.

In the option D, "how frequently is the inventory turned over" is a problem. We know, auxiliary verb is usually used after subject. In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject. In the option D, the auxiliary verb "is" has been wrongly used before verb. We are left with E.
Answer is E.
is is correct that
In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject. In the option D, the auxiliary verb "is" has been wrongly used before verb
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:26 am
Hi,
If you haven't already noticed, it has been corrected in the next post by GMAT MadeEasy.
excellent gmat_perfect .little correction i think :

In the option D, "how frequently is the inventory turned over" is a problem. We know, auxiliary verb is usually used after subject. In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject. In the option D, the auxiliary verb "is" has been wrongly used before verb. We are left with E.

bolded part should be "before subject" not "before verb" .
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:29 am
Frankenstein wrote:Hi,
If you haven't already noticed, it was corrected in the next post by GMAT MadeEasy.
excellent gmat_perfect .little correction i think :

bolded part should be "before subject" not "before verb" .
i did notice that . However, my doubt is regarding the idea and not restricted to this typo committed by gmatperfect .

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:35 am
gmat perfect says
In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject. In the option D, the auxiliary verb "is" has been wrongly used before verb. We are left with E.

Someone says : bolded part should be before subject

so i rectify the line as foll:
In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject. In the option D, the auxiliary verb "is" has been wrongly used before subject. We are left with E.

so is nt this correct
1)In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject.
If the above statement is true then why should D be wrong .
In the option D, the auxiliary verb "is" has been used before subject.why should D be wrong .
Plus it s better if an expert also confirms whether 1)In case of interrogative sentence, we use auxiliary verb before subject. can be used as a rule

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620

by vinni.k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 am
Today, i also tried this question and stuck between choice D and E; however, i eliminated the answer choice D because of redundancy (frequently and often used in the same sentence), still a good explanation can clear the doubt between D and E.

Experts, please reply on this.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Last edited by vinni.k on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by vinni.k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 am
oops sorry about that. Wanted to edit but submit it again

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 am
HarryPotter wrote:It is well known in the supermarket indeustry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.
a. the frequency of inventory turnovers can be
b. the frequency of inventory turnovers is often
c. the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often
d. how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
e. how frequently the inventory turns over can be

Please let me know the difference between d. and e. in depth.
In A, B and C, how items are placed is not parallel with the frequency. Eliminate A, B and C.

In D, the structure how + to be + subject implies a question: how frequently IS the inventory turned over? To make a statement, the structure needs to be how + subject + verb, as in answer choice E: how frequently the inventory TURNS OVER. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 am
GmatGuruNY Thanks So Much

by vinni.k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:56 pm
Thank you so much Mitch.

Regards
Vinni

Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:21 am
Thanks Gmatguru ny u make difficult ques looks easy.........

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:21 am
gmatguru:
GMATGuruNY wrote:In D, the structure how + to be + subject implies a question: how frequently IS the inventory turned over? To make a statement, the structure needs to be how + subject + verb, as in answer choice E: how frequently the inventory TURNS OVER. Eliminate D.
this is correct.

i want to emphasize this pattern for a very specific reason: many posters on this board don't put nearly enough effort into pattern recognition, i.e., recognizing the general structure or "look" of certain constructions. i.e., many people here tend to look at nothing except the smallest components of a sentence.
as proof of this assertion, i will note that there are many, many posters on this board who still don't write questions correctly even after posting over a thousand times!
for instance, many posters will ask questions like this:
"Why A is wrong?"
"Why this idiom is incorrect?"
as mitch has pointed out here, you can't write questions like this; questions are not written in this way.
the error is quite understandable at first -- this is how non-interrogative sentences (i.e. everything except questions) are written, so it's understandable that people would write questions in the same way at first. however, if people are still doing this after 1000 posts, that's a strong indicator that they just aren't paying attention to key overall structures.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:15 am
lunarpower wrote:gmatguru:
GMATGuruNY wrote:In D, the structure how + to be + subject implies a question: how frequently IS the inventory turned over? To make a statement, the structure needs to be how + subject + verb, as in answer choice E: how frequently the inventory TURNS OVER. Eliminate D.
this is correct.

i want to emphasize this pattern for a very specific reason: many posters on this board don't put nearly enough effort into pattern recognition, i.e., recognizing the general structure or "look" of certain constructions. i.e., many people here tend to look at nothing except the smallest components of a sentence.
as proof of this assertion, i will note that there are many, many posters on this board who still don't write questions correctly even after posting over a thousand times!
for instance, many posters will ask questions like this:
"Why A is wrong?"
"Why this idiom is incorrect?"
as mitch has pointed out here, you can't write questions like this; questions are not written in this way.
the error is quite understandable at first -- this is how non-interrogative sentences (i.e. everything except questions) are written, so it's understandable that people would write questions in the same way at first. however, if people are still doing this after 1000 posts, that's a strong indicator that they just aren't paying attention to key overall structures.
But Ron , the formal text books on SC dont deal with structure issues apart from some points such as "the noun modifier should be close to what it modifies "
Other structures are
opening phrase , (Modified subject) ... Main Verb

(Modified subject) ... Main Verb , -ing modifier phrase /absolute phrase

Subjuntive , that BE

If hypothetical subjunctive

These are the only structures that the textbooks tell us about .