OG Qs. About "absolute phrase"

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

OG Qs. About "absolute phrase"

by rx_11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:00 am
Dr. Tonegawa won the Nobel Prize for discovering how the body can constantly change its genes to fashion a seeming unlimited number of antibodies, each specifically targeted at an invading microbe or foreign substance.

(A) seeming unlimited number of antibodies, each specifically targeted at
(B) seeming unlimited number of antibodies, each targeted specifically to
(C) seeming unlimited number of antibodies, all specifically targeted at
(D) seemingly unlimited number of antibodies, all of them targeted specifically to
(E) seemingly unlimited number of antibodies, each targeted specifically at

OA is E

Hi, all.

Try this one plz. Is the "each targeted specifically at" a "absolute phrase"? If it is, I wonder why it uses "targeted", not "targeting" ? I think "target" should be used in a active voice, not passive voice. Anyone correct me?
Stacey's big fan.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 am
The first issue in this problem is "each" versus "all". By using "all" you would imply that all of the antibodies were targeting the same microbe or foreign substance. "Each" allows the individual antibodies to have separate targets. Eliminate C and D.

The second issue is "targeted to" versus "targeted at". The latter is idiomatically correct. Eliminate B.

The third issue is the placement of "specifically". The original implies that it is the targeting that is specific, when in fact the antibody is directed at a specific invader. Eliminate A - E wins.
Tani Wolff

by rx_11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:The first issue in this problem is "each" versus "all". By using "all" you would imply that all of the antibodies were targeting the same microbe or foreign substance. "Each" allows the individual antibodies to have separate targets. Eliminate C and D.

The second issue is "targeted to" versus "targeted at". The latter is idiomatically correct. Eliminate B.

The third issue is the placement of "specifically". The original implies that it is the targeting that is specific, when in fact the antibody is directed at a specific invader. Eliminate A - E wins.

Thanks very much, Tani

But would you explain why we use "targeted" in E, not "targeting"?

Moreover, is "each targeted specifically at......" an absolute phrase?

Regards.

Rx
Stacey's big fan.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 am
But would you explain why we use "targeted" in E, not "targeting"?
my answer would be that using 'targeting' might illogically modify Towengo the NP winner.
Moreover, is "each targeted specifically at......" an absolute phrase?
I dont know what you mean by 'absolute phrase'. If you meant that it is not a relative phrase, then NO. It is a relative clause modifying antibodies.

by rx_11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 pm
Hi, ov25

I don't think it is a relative clause. It should be a "absolute phrase", which is a modifier that attaches to a sentence or a noun, with no conjunction and contains no verb.
Stacey's big fan.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mithilesh.vnit85 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:38 am
In this case, I think Option A,B and C can be eliminated as "seeming" is modifying "unlimited". An Adjective can never modify another adjective. Hence, we need an adverb here. Thus, we need seemingly. In between option D and E, D is illogical as "all of them targeted specifically to " implies all targeted at single foreign substance.Further, targeted at is preferred over targeted to. Hence option E.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:49 am
rx_11 wrote: Try this one plz. Is the "each targeted specifically at" a "absolute phrase"? If it is, I wonder why it uses "targeted", not "targeting" ? I think "target" should be used in a active voice, not passive voice. Anyone correct me?
I don't think you fully understood active and passive sentence construction. An active/passive sentence must have a transitive verb, and in this case, an absolute "phrase" by definition does not contain a verb and therefore is not a sentence.

In addition, we should concentrate on the choices available, not how we could make the sentence better.
Yep.

by sachin_yadav » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:50 pm
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:The first issue in this problem is "each" versus "all". By using "all" you would imply that all of the antibodies were targeting the same microbe or foreign substance. "Each" allows the individual antibodies to have separate targets.
Hi All,

After reading all the options the best answer is E, but if the options are:-

seemingly unlimited number of antibodies, all targeted specifically at

or

seemingly unlimited number of antibodies, all of them targeted specifically at

then which one is the best option. Some say if "all of them" exists then second one is correct.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/dr-tonegawa- ... 53447.html

Can anyone please put some light on this small topic ?

Thanks
Sachin

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 am
"all of them" is not incorrect, but it is wordy. I would not expect the test to ask you to chose between those alternatives.
Tani Wolff

by sachin_yadav » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:55 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:"all of them" is not incorrect, but it is wordy. I would not expect the test to ask you to chose between those alternatives.
Thank you so much Tani. I really appreciate for your reply.

Regards
Sachin