OG 18, question-225

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

OG 18, question-225

by vaibhav101 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am
List T consists of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer; E is the sum of the resulting integers. If 1313 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E − S?
"‰"‰I. "‰âˆ’16"‰
II. "‰"‰"‰6
III. 10

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:42 am
You will find numerous explanations to this question throughout this forum, including here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-ps-218 ... tml#738124

But my advice: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SOLVE QUESTIONS THIS DIFFICULT ON TEST DAY!! Unless you're already scoring around a 50Q, questions like this will eat up your time and are not worth solving.

The savvy test-taker knows which questions to skip as well as how to solve the solvable ones.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm
ceilidh.erickson wrote:The savvy test-taker knows which questions to skip as well as how to solve the solvable ones.
Absolutely the best GMAT advice you're going to read today, people! If I were granted the power to impart one lasting lesson to every GMAT student, this would be the one. (Well, that and "don't check your phone during the break!!" :))

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 pm
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:The savvy test-taker knows which questions to skip as well as how to solve the solvable ones.
Absolutely the best GMAT advice you're going to read today, people! If I were granted the power to impart one lasting lesson to every GMAT student, this would be the one. (Well, that and "don't check your phone during the break!!" :))
Haha so true! "Don't check your phone" is the "wear sunscreen" equivalent on the GMAT. It doesn't sound that important, but TRUST us, it is! I've heard of at least a dozen people who got kicked out & had their score canceled because of this (thankfully almost no students of mine, because I hammer this point).
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education