OG 12th edition question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

OG 12th edition question

by nickhar130 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 am
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting

question: why is "turtle- excluder devices" not a plural noun for the verb "protect"

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:26 am
nickhar130 wrote:Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting

question: why is "turtle- excluder devices" not a plural noun for the verb "protect"
The OA is B

See the clause after "saying that".

The subject here is their compliance with the laws. The word "Compliance" is Singular so Singular Verb is used.
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it

by nickhar130 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 am
"turtle- excluder devices" <---- is that a noun as well?

Community Manager

by shovan85 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am
nickhar130 wrote:"turtle- excluder devices" <---- is that a noun as well?
Yes.

Devices --> Noun
turtle- excluder --> Adjective that modifies the Noun

by nickhar130 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:40 am
so why can't it be ... devices (plural noun) ... protect(plural verb)? How do i know that the word "protect" goes with the noun "compliance (singular noun)?

Community Manager

by shovan85 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 am
nickhar130 wrote:so why can't it be ... devices (plural noun) ... protect(plural verb)? How do i know that the word "protect" goes with the noun "compliance (singular noun)?
Because Verb does not depend on the nearest noun but the subject. You must have to find out what the subject of the sentence or the clause.

If the subject is plural then the verb will be plural.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 pm
nickhar130 wrote:so why can't it be ... devices (plural noun) ... protect(plural verb)? How do i know that the word "protect" goes with the noun "compliance (singular noun)?
From your question, I gather that you are having issues identifying the correct SV-pairs. This is very critical to solving SC questions. Lets consider the sentence at hand.

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

Step 1 : Understand the sentence structure. This involves identifying all clauses.

1: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying
2: that their compliance with laws requiring
3: that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets
2 (continued) protect adult sea turtles.

We could split this sentence into its individual clauses by noting the dependent clause markers - "that".

Step 2 : Identify SV pair in each clause. Each clause must have a SV Pair.

1: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying
2: that their compliance with laws requiring
3: that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets
2 (continued) protect adult sea turtles.

Thus, as you can see the verb for turtle-excluder devices is "be" and the verb for "compliance" is "protect". Clearly there is a SV-number error since plural protect is used with singular compliance.

If you would like to understand sentence structure and identification of SV pairs, you may access the "free trial" at e-GMAT. Just register at e-GMAT and access the concepts covering sentence structure, SV identification, pronouns, verb tenses, and advanced topic of verb-ing modifiers, free of charge.

Thanks,

Payal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:09 am
What's grammatically wrong with (C) ?
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 pm
Let me post a follow-on question: What is the subject for the verb "protect"? As you get the answer for this question, you will answer your initial question yourself. :)

by Salman Ghaffar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:38 am
"Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles. "

The shrimpers claim that their compliance with the laws is what's protecting the adult sea turtles. The part "requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets" is just a modifier. In fact, lets remove this from the sentence. The sentence will now read:

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws protect adult sea turtles.

The sentence above sounds almost perfect - the error is with the verb "protect" which is incorrect as it modifies a singular subject "compliance".

Hope this helps

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 am
Thanks, Salman. I think this finally has penetrated my gray matter. The form of the verb "protect" needs to be appropriate for the subject "compliance", which eliminates all but (B) and (E).

Salman Ghaffar wrote:"Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles. "

The shrimpers claim that their compliance with the laws is what's protecting the adult sea turtles. The part "requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets" is just a modifier. In fact, lets remove this from the sentence. The sentence will now read:

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws protect adult sea turtles.

The sentence above sounds almost perfect - the error is with the verb "protect" which is incorrect as it modifies a singular subject "compliance".

Hope this helps
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.