OG 12th, #24, please help~

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

OG 12th, #24, please help~

by sinmk2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:17 pm
In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that ARE the organism's attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant

What ARE the organism's attempt? "the production" or "enzymes"? If I am correct, "production" is a singular noun which does not agree with the plural verb "are", whereas the sentence "Enzymes ARE the organism's attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant" does not make sense to me. How can "enzymes" be an "attempt". Could someone help? Thanks a lot!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:50 am
sinmk2 wrote:In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that ARE the organism's attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant

What ARE the organism's attempt? "the production" or "enzymes"? If I am correct, "production" is a singular noun which does not agree with the plural verb "are", whereas the sentence "Enzymes ARE the organism's attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant" does not make sense to me. How can "enzymes" be an "attempt". Could someone help? Thanks a lot!
I completely agree with you, I think verb "are" is incorrect over here. IMO subject is "production of enzymes" which makes an "attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant". Can you tell what is source of the paragraph?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sinmk2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am
hemant_rajput wrote:
sinmk2 wrote:In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that ARE the organism's attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant

I completely agree with you, I think verb "are" is incorrect over here. IMO subject is "production of enzymes" which makes an "attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant". Can you tell what is source of the paragraph?
Hi hemant_rajput, actually this problem comes from the Official Guide For GMAT Review 12th edition.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 am
This is a kind of construct that seems to be acceptable on GMAT...from a "sense" perspective. Another question from Verbal Review:

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

In this, satellites (and not "production" of satellites or something along similar lines) are part of effort, the way enzymes are organism's attempt in the sentence under consideration.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi