OG 12; question no 132]

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

OG 12; question no 132]

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 pm
Although the term "psychopath" is popularly applied to an especially brutal criminal, in psychology it is someone who is apparently incapable of feeling compassion or the pangs of conscience.

A] it is someone who is

B] it is a person

C] they are capable who are

D] it refers to someone who is

E] it is in reference to people

The OA is D. For me it came down to the options D and E, but the I am not convinced as to why the OA is or cannot be E.

I know that E is a bit awkward but it is correct grammatically i feel.

Please do reply as to why E is wrong explaining the reason carefully.

Thank You.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members

by alex.gellatly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 pm
[email protected] wrote:Although the term "psychopath" is popularly applied to an especially brutal criminal, in psychology it is someone who is apparently incapable of feeling compassion or the pangs of conscience.

A] it is someone who is

B] it is a person

C] they are capable who are

D] it refers to someone who is

E] it is in reference to people

The OA is D. For me it came down to the options D and E, but the I am not convinced as to why the OA is or cannot be E.

I know that E is a bit awkward but it is correct grammatically i feel.

Please do reply as to why E is wrong explaining the reason carefully.

Thank You.
I agree with you that both D and E are grammatically correct. However, D uses a verb (refer), where E uses a noun (reference). It its my understanding that when in doubt the GMAT prefers a verb to a noun. Correct me if I'm wrong.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:45 pm
The expression "it is in reference" used in answer E is stylistically flawed. It is a very formal expression used to say what you are writing or talking about, especially in business letters,
e.g.
I am writing to you in reference to the job opening in your department.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gh_chandra2000 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:27 am
Also here we are talking about the term "psychopath" which is singular. But people is plural. So we cannot apply singular things to plural one.
In the first one, it is correctly mentioned that "Psychopath is applied to an brutal criminal". It didn't say it is applied to brutal criminals.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:47 pm
gh_chandra2000 wrote:Also here we are talking about the term "psychopath" which is singular. But people is plural. So we cannot apply singular things to plural one.
In the first one, it is correctly mentioned that "Psychopath is applied to an brutal criminal". It didn't say it is applied to brutal criminals.
This is the biggest thing that jumped out to me as well.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:43 pm
Yes I think whatever gh_chandra2000 wrote is the reason that why E is not the correct answer.

The overall non-underlined part is in the singular tense and so how can the underlined part be having a plural verb. Also the overall sentence is in the singular verse itself.

Thank You!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 pm
[email protected] wrote:.. but the I am not convinced as to why the OA is or cannot be E....
Might sound nitpicky here, but your question should be:

.. but the I am not convinced as to why the OA is not or cannot be E....

By the way, I read the OE for E and it says that E needs a main verb used and then says: Oh by the way, even if E had "used" (is used in reference to), the construction would be awkward and much wordier : ).

Also, when we are talking about singular and plural, it is the term that is singular (and not psychopath). In other words, even if the sentence construction was "term psychopaths", it would not have changed anything.

On a side note, OG12 has the following AWA:

Assuming that the term "business relations" can refer to the decisions and actions of any organization

Go figure: ).
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 pm
EducationAisle wrote:[
Also, when we are talking about singular and plural, it is the term that is singular (and not psychopath). In other words, even if the sentence construction was "term psychopaths", it would not have changed anything.

On a side note, OG12 has the following AWA:

Assuming that the term "business relations" can refer to the decisions and actions of any organization
Go figure: ).
isn;t what you mentioned above is contradictory. First you mentioned that 'psychopaths' would not change the singular and plural case and then you quoted an instance where case is affected
I think case WILL be affected...
term psychopaths should refer to plural entity and not singular... term psychopaths refers to all those who are.....
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 am
Hi Vikram, perhaps the color coding in my post was the source of confusion. What I meant was that both the following would be correct:

1. Although the term "psychopath" is popularly applied to an especially brutal criminal, in psychology it refers to someone who is apparently incapable of feeling compassion or the pangs of conscience.

2. Although the term "psychopaths" is popularly applied to especially brutal criminals, in psychology it refers to someone who is apparently incapable of feeling compassion or the pangs of conscience.

Basically "it" in both the above cases refers to "term" and it doesn't matter whether we use "psychopath" or "psychopaths".
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi