OG says not almost until is nonsensical sequence of
modifiers

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by suchoudh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 pm
Can you please underline the sentence?

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 pm
suchoudh wrote:Can you please underline the sentence?

It's done. @poster, please underline the sentence whenever you post a SC question.

Coming to the question, "almost" must be close to "1900" and it must not modify "until". Also, the placement of "seriously" in b/w "to" and "study is wrong. It must be "began to study seriously" or "began studying seriously".

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Shawshank » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 pm
papgust wrote:
suchoudh wrote:Can you please underline the sentence?

It's done. @poster, please underline the sentence whenever you post a SC question.

Coming to the question, "almost" must be close to "1900" and it must not modify "until". Also, the placement of "seriously" in b/w "to" and "study is wrong. It must be "began to study seriously" or "began studying seriously".
Wht does "it" refer to in D and E.. ????
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:10 pm
It here is more like a Placeholder It, can someone elaborate on this point.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 am
Received a PM asking me to reply.

I can't discuss this problem in much detail because it's an OG problem, but I can discuss the "it" issue (which is what the poster requested from me).

The word "it" can sometimes be used without an actual antecedent. For example, in the sentence "it is raining outside," the pronoun "it" does not refer to another noun. What noun could that "it" refer to? The sky is raining? The clouds are raining? Mother nature is raining? The pronoun isn't actually referring to anything specific. The pronoun is indicating a "state of being" - "there is rain falling from the sky."

So, let's try this sentence: "it was not until last year that I first began to play basketball."

The "it" doesn't refer to a noun in the sentence. Is there some noun in the world that the "it" could refer to? No, actually. This example is similar to the "it is raining outside" example - the "it" is indicating a "state of being." This thing is true: it was not until last year that I first began to play basketball.

This is tricky. It's not really easy to see when you don't have to have an antecedent for "it." That's why I like the "it is raining outside" example - I can ask myself, "Okay, is this sentence like that one? If so, then I don't need an antecedent for "it."
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 am
D is wrong because

although..., it is almost 1990

has no meaning

but why B is wrong

the tense past in E is not correct, I think

by gauravgundal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 am
D is incorrect

First : The sentence has adverb between "to" and verb 'study'

I think that adverb must never come between to and verb .

Second reason : it was not almost untill 1990 ,or it was not until almost 1990

Almost --very nearly but not exactly or entirely

so "Almost" must modify year and not 'untill'.

by Shawshank » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to reply.

I can't discuss this problem in much detail because it's an OG problem, but I can discuss the "it" issue (which is what the poster requested from me).

The word "it" can sometimes be used without an actual antecedent. For example, in the sentence "it is raining outside," the pronoun "it" does not refer to another noun. What noun could that "it" refer to? The sky is raining? The clouds are raining? Mother nature is raining? The pronoun isn't actually referring to anything specific. The pronoun is indicating a "state of being" - "there is rain falling from the sky."

So, let's try this sentence: "it was not until last year that I first began to play basketball."

The "it" doesn't refer to a noun in the sentence. Is there some noun in the world that the "it" could refer to? No, actually. This example is similar to the "it is raining outside" example - the "it" is indicating a "state of being." This thing is true: it was not until last year that I first began to play basketball.

This is tricky. It's not really easy to see when you don't have to have an antecedent for "it." That's why I like the "it is raining outside" example - I can ask myself, "Okay, is this sentence like that one? If so, then I don't need an antecedent for "it."
Thanks a TON Stacey....
It is helping -- :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Followed by:1 members

by RumpelThickSkin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:29 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to reply.

Great explanation. So Stacey and others - can we safely conclude that when IT does have an antecedant, it must always refer to a 'state of being'? i.e. It is raining, It is helping etc.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:06 am
So Stacey and others - can we safely conclude that when IT does have an antecedant, it must always refer to a 'state of being'? i.e. It is raining, It is helping etc.
When "it" does NOT have an explicit antecedent, AND "it" is used correctly in the sentence, then the pronoun is referring to this "state of being" idea I wrote about above.

On the GMAT, this can be a little tricky. Basically, ask yourself what noun or concept would logically fit into the spot where the "it" pronoun currently is. If what you think of is similar to the idea behind "it is raining outside," then don't worry about finding an antecedent. If what you think of is really a discrete noun, then look for it in the sentence.

Note: another way in which "it" is used incorrectly is in the expression "do it." He wanted to study last night and she told him to do it. What does "it" refer to there?

It refers to "study": she told him to study. Hmm. "Study" is a verb, not a noun. I can't use "it" to refer to a verb. A correct choice might say something like "He wanted to study last night and she told him to do so." "So" can refer back to a verb.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me