OG 11 - Hypnotized subjects

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

OG 11 - Hypnotized subjects

by albertrahul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:58 am
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No". Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described?
(E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

I'll post OA after some discussion.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by durgesh79 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:18 am
I'm confused between A and B. I'll go for A

if we try to answer each these "why?" questions, we'll get a clue.

A. becuase, the part that replies is deaf, how did he/she hear the question in the first place and if the part that replies is not deaf, the answer should have been "yes".

B. becuase, after being told that they are deaf, subject is answering a question. He/she should have just ignored it, as never heard it.

C. becuase we have a very good hypnotolizist.

D. becuase our brain respond to hypnosis in same way

E. same answer as D.

by newera » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:38 am
ahh, this one is hard. I think A mainly because I am not confident at all with the other choices and with A, there is some (although little) confidence.

My reasoning for A: If it is true that there are two parts, the deaf side and the alert side that responds, then it only makes sense that the alert part would say yes and the deaf part would stay quiet.

B --goes too much into it. i feel like this is an answer choice for people who overthink the question. not really relevant.
C --we're not questioning the validity of hypnosis.
D --i don't know and i don't want to know. nowhere is there doubt about the uniformity of people's reactions...so why question it now.
E --don't really care.

by albertrahul » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:11 pm
OA is A indeed.

However, explanation in OG differs a bit then what is provided by guys above.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by khanshainur » Wed May 11, 2016 12:35 am
I will Go with option A in this case