OG 11 Diagnostic verbal

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG 11 Diagnostic verbal

by Ramneet Singh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:48 am
The Supreme court has ruled that public universities may collect student activity fees even with students' objections to particular activities,so long as the groups they give money to will be chosen without regard to their views.

A)with students' objections to particular activities , as long as the groups they give money to will be

B)if they have objections to particular activities and the groups that are given the money are

C)if they object to particular activities, but the groups that the money is given to have to be

D)from students who object to particular activities,so long as the groups given money are

E)though students have an objection to particular activities,but the groups that are given the money be

OA later, as i have observed that ppl tend to be biased by the OA .I wish to have honest opinions.
Also who is "they" in the answer choices referring to ?

by Dangerous Dude » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:18 pm
Go with E...

A.. with is incorrectly used

B, C .. they gives wrong antecedent

D.. So long as... can only be used in negative sense...(But OG12 now dosn't think so x as y... correct any more)
E.. order that is given a subjunctive form , Sentence formation is correct...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by this_time_i_will » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:08 pm
in E, Even though and but, both show contradiction. But use of only one should be sufficient.
Rule out E.
pick D.

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 pm
Ramneet Singh wrote:The Supreme court has ruled that public universities may collect student activity fees even with students' objections to particular activities,so long as the groups they give money to will be chosen without regard to their views.

A)with students' objections to particular activities , as long as the groups they give money to will be

B)if they have objections to particular activities and the groups that are given the money are

C)if they object to particular activities, but the groups that the money is given to have to be

D)from students who object to particular activities,so long as the groups given money are

E)though students have an objection to particular activities,but the groups that are given the money be

OA later, as i have observed that ppl tend to be biased by the OA .I wish to have honest opinions.
First problem with sentence is use of 'they' there are 3 nouns which can they refer to.
so A,B,C out
D and E are both contender.
Infact 'though students....' lures you to chose it as it is show contradiction(which seems to be theme of sentence)
but
in D
have an objection is replaced by object only
in E money 'be chosen' doesnt complete sentence.
so D wins as E has some problems.
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by pesfunk » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 am
Ruled out A, B and C.

Between D and E....I ruled out D since "so long as" should instead be "as long as"

Thus, IMO E

OA Please ?
Ramneet Singh wrote:The Supreme court has ruled that public universities may collect student activity fees even with students' objections to particular activities,so long as the groups they give money to will be chosen without regard to their views.

by Ramneet Singh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 am
OA not yet.I am there listening so rest assured u will get the OA and when i do it you will be notified.
2 of the member replies are wrong.

by Ramneet Singh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 am
frank1 wrote:
Ramneet Singh wrote:
First problem with sentence is use of 'they' there are 3 nouns which can they refer to.
so A,B,C out
D and E are both contender.
Infact 'though students....' lures you to chose it as it is show contradiction(which seems to be theme of sentence)
but
in D
have an objection is replaced by object only
in E money 'be chosen' doesnt complete sentence.
so D wins as E has some problems.
/quote]
Why do u say in E money 'be chosen' doesnt complete sentence.`

by sumit.sinha » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:16 am
IMO D.

E has passive voice construction (have an objection).
D has active voice construction (object).

Go with D.
Cheers,
Sumit

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:18 am
Ramneet Singh wrote: Why do u say in E money 'be chosen' doesnt complete sentence.`
if we say
but the groups that are given the money be chosen without regard to their views.
be will be verb of the later part of the sentence which is not able to complete that sentence,frament.
more over,
groups are chosen is more clear and active.

thanks
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

by Ramneet Singh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 am
frank1 wrote:
Ramneet Singh wrote: Why do u say in E money 'be chosen' doesnt complete sentence.`
if we say
but the groups that are given the money be chosen without regard to their views.
be will be verb of the later part of the sentence which is not able to complete that sentence,frament.
more over,
groups are chosen is more clear and active.

thanks
Does nt the former part of the sentence "the supreme court has ruled " imply command subjunctive which requires one to use "be" (Bare form of verb" according to MGMAT strategy guide.

by Ramneet Singh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:19 am
sumit.sinha wrote:IMO D.

E has passive voice construction (have an objection).
D has active voice construction (object).

Go with D.
Passive voice construction is when the subject follows the verb.In E, the students have an objection.The "students " is the subject and it precedes the verb "have".
OA is indeed D.
However the OG explanation is anything but clear to me.
I have asked an expert for comments.:(

by redmark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:03 pm
A, B, and C are out because of the use of "they" (not clear what "they" refers to)

Between D and E.

D) ....groups given money are

E).....groups given money be

D is a better choice.

Also something I noticed in D) vs E)

D maintains meaning more.
Look at E).
though students have an objection to particular activities,but the groups that are given the money be

This changes the meaning because of the "but"

D) uses "so long as" which is the same meaning as in A)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:30 am
redmark wrote:A, B, and C are out because of the use of "they" (not clear what "they" refers to)

Between D and E.

D) ....groups given money are

E).....groups given money be

D is a better choice.

Also something I noticed in D) vs E)

D maintains meaning more.
Look at E).
though students have an objection to particular activities,but the groups that are given the money be

This changes the meaning because of the "but"

D) uses "so long as" which is the same meaning as in A)
The OG does say that But is not the best way to convey "with the provision of" meaning.The OG also also puts manyanswer choices out of contention because of their awkward construction .However simply saying D is a better choice without concrete reasons would not suffice.D is indeed the correct answer .However i find the concept very vague because it doesnot employ any knowledge of Subject verb agreement,pronoun,modifier,tense,mood,voice and parallelism.Pronoun ambiguity exists in A but the sentence in itself is not clear.The sentence does not convey clearly whether students are objecting or administration is objecting,whose activities are being objected to.who is choosing the group.whose views are taken into consideration while while choosing the group.

by redmark » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 pm
Here is what I meant.

For example:

The students are running.

vs

The students be running.

The use of the verb are is preferred.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:33 pm
redmark wrote:Here is what I meant.

For example:

The students are running.

vs

The students be running.

The use of the verb are is preferred.
In the given SC,"be" is followed by past participle "chosen" and not present participle "choosing".The command subjunctive follows a strict framework and there is no logic that is applicable to it