OG 10th Edition Q 153

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

OG 10th Edition Q 153

by nishant_1010 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:43 am
153. Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have made converting solar energy directly into
electricity far more cost-efficient in the last decade. However, the threshold of economic viability for solar power
(that is, the price per barrel to which oil would have to rise in order for new solar power plants to be more
economical than new oil-fired power plants) is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.
Which of the following, if true, does most to help explain why the increased cost-efficiency of solar power has
not decreased its threshold of economic viability?
(A) The cost of oil has fallen dramatically.
(B) The reduction in the cost of solar-power equipment has occurred despite increased raw material costs
for that equipment.
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of oil-fired power plants.
(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-fired, power plants.
(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically
viable.

Ans C. I chose A. Why is A incorrect..?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by plodder_81 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:29 am
I would go with option C as economic viability is defined directly in terms of the efficiency of oil powered plants and solar power plants. It tells us how the price hasn't increased for oil.

-plodder

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:54 pm
A is wrong because it is opposite of what is mentioned. If the price of oil had fallen drastically, Solar power would have become more viable. So instead of explaining, it is questioning the fact.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by graem83d » Tue May 03, 2016 3:33 am
I also think that C is the right answer.