Oak trees

This topic has expert replies
Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

Oak trees

by DanaJ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:22 am
Source: Beat The GMAT Practice Questions

If there are more oak trees in Oregon than there are leaves on any one Oregon oak tree, and if every Oregon oak tree has at least one leaf, then __________.

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

A. the average number of oak leaves per Oregon oak tree must be less than half the number of Oregon oak trees
B. there are fewer leaves on at least one Oregon oak tree than half the number of those trees
C. there must be at least two oak trees in Oregon with the same number of leaves
D. there must be at least as many Oregon oak trees with half as many leaves as the Oregon tree with the most leaves, as there are Oregon oak trees with twice as many leaves as the Oregon oak tree with the fewest leaves
E. there must be more oak trees than any other type of tree in Oregon
Last edited by DanaJ on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by saurabhmahajan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:34 am
Wow!!!!
what options...i wish not to see such CR's on D day...

IMO:A
Thanks and regards,
Saurabh Mahajan

I can understand you not winning,but i will not forgive you for not trying.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 am
Umm.........

C.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhi84v » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 am
IMO C

Let's say any tree has x leaves max
n > x

so say all trees have different no of leaves and each has at least one leaf

So the no of leaves on the trees can be 1,2,....,x

However there are more than x trees

So it stands to reason that there are at least two trees with the same number of leaves

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members

by DanaJ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm
This one made my brain hurt as well...

Here's the explanation from the Beat The GMAT Practice Questions, hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

Try to make the problem more solvable by simplifying. First, delete the words "oak" and "Oregon." This helps remove unnecessary clutter. Second, try to solve by working with a finite number of trees and leaves:

If we have four trees, then each tree has at least one leaf but no more than three.

(C) is true for any number of trees. For example, if there are three trees, one tree may have one leaf, another tree may have two leaves, but if the third tree had either three or no leaves, then that would contradict the initial statement. The third tree must have either one or two leaves (i.e., at least two trees must have the same number of leaves).

(A) is not necessarily true; if, for instance, we have four trees, each of them could have three leaves.

(B) is impossible if there are only two trees because each tree must have at least one leaf (as weird as it may sound to have just two trees in Oregon!)

(D) isn't necessarily true; for example, all trees could have the same number of leaves. This is a typical example of confusing syntax.

(E) is out because there's no talk about any other tree type. We're strictly interested in oak trees!

by kapur.arnav » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:47 am
DanaJ wrote:Source: Beat The GMAT Practice Questions

If there are more oak trees in Oregon than there are leaves on any one Oregon oak tree, and if every Oregon oak tree has at least one leaf, then __________.

A. the average number of oak leaves per Oregon oak tree must be less than half the number of Oregon oak trees
B. there are fewer leaves on at least one Oregon oak tree than half the number of those trees
C. there must be at least two oak trees in Oregon with the same number of leaves
D. there must be at least as many Oregon oak trees with half as many leaves as the Oregon tree with the most leaves, as there are Oregon oak trees with twice as many leaves as the Oregon oak tree with the fewest leaves
Took me nearly 2 mins to select C.... This is a 700+ q for sure...

Followed by:2 members

by Abhishek009 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:10 am

Will go with C....
Abhishek

GMAT Score:710

by mk101 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

My answer "C" - t = no of trees and n = no of leaves atleast per tree... since t>n if n =1 then there must be two trees and both of them must have 1 leave each. If t =3 then the max no of leaves per tree =2 again if the first two trees have 1 and 2 leaves.. the third tree must have either 1 or 2 leaves........and so on by induction we can prove C

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

by rishab1988 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 am
The answer should be C.

But I must add D is a very poorly constructed sentence.

"there must be at least as many Oregon oak trees with half as many leaves as the Oregon tree with the most leaves"

"as there are Oregon oak trees with twice as many leaves as the Oregon oak tree with the fewest leaves. "

D basically meant to say,if the there are 4 oak trees and 3 of those trees have 2 leaves and one of those trees has 1 leaf, then the number of oak trees[most number of leaves here is 2] that have 1 leaf must be same the number of oak trees that have 2 leaves.

As indicates comparison.what is the second part comparing to?

Followed by:4 members

by anirudhbhalotia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:26 am
Ouch!

That hurt bad...real bad!

Have never come across such question in CR! :-(

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

by rishab1988 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:31 am
Don't worry about this one.

There are 2 issues about it

1) This is a very very LSAT like CR [you will never encounter such CR on GMAT]

Even if you did.You still need not worry for the following reason:

2) The language in statement D is ambiguous.The real test questions are very carefully edited.

I have done almost 200 LSAT CR questions,till date,and I have never encounter such ambiguous language as in answer choice D.Yes I have seen an LSAT question similar to this one but not with an ambiguous language as this one.

GMAT Score:680

by Taran » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 pm
I agree.....even i was scratching my head :)

@DanaJ - You just explained it so easily. Cheers!!!!

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:40 am
Oh boy what was that!! Dana really u made it very simple...
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by whirlwind » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:15 pm
Ack! That was brutal!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by coolly01 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm
Is it D, although i dont understand totally what option D means (too complicated). But the other options are not correct the correct ones.

Can anyone explain me what option means?
I much appreciate