O2 Boldface

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

O2 Boldface

by szDave » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am
Hello everyone!

Had trouble with this one :S I guessed a), but was not correct. Which one, and why is that answer correct?

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance Is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health dubs bottles of drinking water, labeled "SuperOXY," that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the amount of oxygen in the blood of someone who is exercising is already more than the muscle cells can absorb.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?

a) world-class athletes turn in record performances without such water
b) frequent physical exercise Increases the body's ability to take In and use oxygen
c) the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is through the lungs
d) lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance
e) the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 am
Hello!

I too guessed A first but I believe the correct answer is C

Here, we need to find the answer that, if put in place of the boldface statement, would serve the same purpose. So we need to figure out the purpose of the boldface statement right? The boldface statement gives us an explanation as to why the special water would not help to improve physical performance. So we have to look for an answer choice that gives us another reason/explanation for the same. [spoiler](C)[/spoiler] is the only choice that does that.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 am
OA is C

This is a fun newer type of bold-faced! You are trying to replace the portion in bold, with another statement that serves the same function!

So we are focused on the FUNCTION played by the boldfaced portion. The function is to explain why super-oxygenated water is useless and the bold-faced portion does this. Answer choice C also gives a reason why the super-oxygenated water is not needed - too much oxygen already! Focus on the oxygen...that is the key.

Nice explanation by shenoydevika!

By the way, I believe this question is from the GMATPrep software. However, there are two different versions of this one going around. If you have seen a different version with a different OA, then you can visit this link where I sort out the confusion https://www.beatthegmat.com/useless-bott ... 66646.html
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course