NYU - How will they consider Continuing Ed performance?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I'm considering Stern and have taken classes at NYU SCPS (School of Continuing and Professional Studies) in the past. I performed pretty poorly in the class I took (Real Estate Finance I) due to unforseen work conflicts (this course met on Saturdays for 4 weeks). I ended up with a C. Will they consider this? If so, should I attempt to explain it or am I cooked? Can anyone weigh in here?

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:44 am
I too am taking classes at NYU SCPS... I'm not sure how they're going to view that one class to be honest. If you can explain it in the optional essay that would be the best, but if you have more pressing issues that you'd need to address in that optional essay then I wouldn't waste the space.

Plus... if that's the only class you took from NYU SCPS then you don't have to submit that transcript if you don't want to. That way they won't see it.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by agresj » Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 am
money9111 wrote: Plus... if that's the only class you took from NYU SCPS then you don't have to submit that transcript if you don't want to. That way they won't see it.
Is this accurate? I'm pretty sure that Stern's admissions site said that they require all transcripts of any courses taken in any capacity.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 am
my response to this is... how can they require something that you "haven't taken?" They won't know that you've taken that class unless you speak to it in your essays or interview...

by agresj » Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 am
I don't disagree however is it worth running the risk of not taking credit for it (and potentially coming off as being deceptive) when it's plausible that the NYU registrar shares resources between schools?

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 am
agresj wrote:I don't disagree however is it worth running the risk of not taking credit for it (and potentially coming off as being deceptive) when it's plausible that the NYU registrar shares resources between schools?
Well I know how much those classes are so I dunno if retaking it is the best option. I do not believe the schools are allowed to share resources. One reason is that they'd have to inquire about ALL applicants and that's too cumbersome. What I would do is call the admissions office and pose that question to them. Even if you have to use an alias... If you want me to do it I will and then post the response... I have two classes starting next week actually

by agresj » Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 am
Very clever thinking. I'll call and see what they say. Thanks for your feedback here and good luck in August.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 am
let me know what they say... i'd be interested

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by islandgurl918 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:13 pm
Anyone follow up on this? I am in a similar situation. I took courses a long time ago at a local college and couldn't keep up due to work situations. I never used these courses to transfer anywhere, I got a 4 year degree elsewhere. However, according to the MBA admissions policies on many websites, it makes it seem like I should submit a transcript from anywhere I've taken a course. Is this actually the case? Or should I just include my 4 year transcript.