NYU, Fordham, or Pace? Please advise with honest opinions.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I've applied to the part-time MBA programs at NYU, Fordham, and Pace. My goal is to get a degree in finance and work as an analyst or trader at a major bank in 3-4 years.

I've been accepted to the Fordham and Pace PT programs. I am currently on the waitlist for the NYU PT program.

First, I'd like people's opinions on which MBA program is better: Pace or Fordham?

Second, is it worth waiting for NYU to make up their minds, even while enrolling at either Fordham or Pace? Since my goal is to work in finance, I am wondering if the NYU brand name is really that much better than either Fordham or Pace.

Third, my worry with the NYU PT program is that there is no access to job fairs if you're a part-timer. Whereas, at Fordham and Pace, regardless if you're a part-timer or full-time, you have access to job fairs. Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
edwardabbey

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ninkorn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:53 am
I don't think you should even consider Pace. Their entrance requirement is so low. Quality of education isn't up to par with Fordham.

However, I would wait for NYU PT program if YOUR INTENTION IS TO GO TO WALL ST.

I hear Fordham's deadline for accepting is later than most schools and NYU reputation down the road (nothing guarantees that you will end up on Wall St, you will need alternatives) and its network will pay off handsomely.

Hands down NYU.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:31 am
Pace is not a bad school. However, I would not consider it for an MBA/MS. It certainly puts a limit on where you can go in your career.

The note about job fairs is certainly a valid point. However, if you are thinking of moving to another company, why do you plan to stay with your present employer?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by edwardabbey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm
I have been considering the Fordham PT program over the Pace PT program. I will definitely wait and see what news I get from the NYU PT program, but in the meantime, I may just go ahead and enroll at Fordham.

I want to make the change from my current job to a job as an analyst/trader at a major bank as quickly as possible, whether that means I get a paid internship or whatever during the summer. Is it unheard of that a bank would hire someone in an MBA program BEFORE they actually graduate?

My goal, for now, is definitely a career in finance. First, as a trader/analyst; down the road, I want to be involved with microfinance and/or emerging markets.

I guess the real question is, do the biggies like JP Morgan, GS, Citi, and Credit Suisse recruit and hire Fordham MBA graduates?

Thank you everyone for your help, ideas, and suggestions!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ninkorn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:28 am
That all depends. Just because an employer comes to a school and recruits there every year, it doesn't mean the employer will consider a graduate of specific school for all of their divisions.

For example, graduating from Fordham MBA will not get you access to the same jobs that NYU grads can. (Sure, there are few exceptions because few top top cream of the crop will land somewhere nice)

Before you enroll at Fordham, why not go visit their graduate career center and look at the list of the companies with On Campus Recruiting activities....

That will give you a better sense of the actual picture.

But remember, all wall street firms are reducing hiring for next year. I doubt second tier schools like Fordham will have as good as a chance at other top schools. (maybe less positions reserved for Fordham hiring etc etc)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:01 pm
Hi E,
I agree with the previous posters. Fordham is definitely a higher ranked program and would likely have stronger contacts on Wall Street. And while Wall Street will likely slow hiring over the next few years, that shouldn't discourage you from getting your MBA and building contacts within the industry.

Good luck -

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep