GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue May 17, 2011 4:25 am
I'd go with E here.

Y X Z
3 4 7
3 4 8
3 -1 2
3 -1 3

In all these cases, Y is not equal to X + Z.
But in 1st and 3rd, |X| = Y-Z.

So N.S

Adding stmt 2 to Stmt 1 takes away 1st and 2nd set of values. But other 2 still remain.
So E.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by champmag » Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 am
+ 1 for E.

both the statements are not sufficient to answer the question.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by uslalas22 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:20 pm
I initially thought the answer would be A, but maybe I am falling into a trap here.

Vineeshp, you note the example y=3 and z=7, and x=4. And you state Y is not equal to X + Z and |X| = Y-Z. However wouldn't Y-Z = 3-4 = -4. If x = 4, |X| = 4. 4 does not equal -4. I point this out because I think we can say that given statement one, the stimulus can't be true.

Since statement 1 says X+Z is not equal Y, it tells us X is definitely negative, (or simply any arbitrary number.) I would say it tells us sufficiently that the answer to the stimulus is no. I don't see how statement 1 can tell us in any way that the stimulus holds true.

Thoughts?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by djiddish98 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:57 pm
I also like A.

If |X| = Y - Z, then y > z, since the answer has to be positive (or y = z and x = 0)

x = y - z when x is positive
-x = z - y when x is negative

both cases let us know that x + z = y when we rearrange terms. Since statement 1 tells us that x + z != y, then we know that |X| != Y - Z, which is sufficient.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm
I received a PM asking for comment.
uslalas22 wrote: Since statement 1 says X+Z is not equal Y, it tells us X is definitely negative, (or simply any arbitrary number.)
Your line of reasoning here wasn't entirely clear to me, but Statement 1 does not guarantee that X is negative - X+Z can be different from Y when X is positive as well. It is, however, true that we always get a 'no' answer to the question when X is positive (I go into more detail below), so if we want to get a 'yes' answer to the question, we'll need to look at negative values of x.
djiddish98 wrote:

If |X| = Y - Z, then y > z, since the answer has to be positive (or y = z and x = 0)

x = y - z when x is positive
-x = z - y when x is negative

both cases let us know that x + z = y when we rearrange terms. Since statement 1 tells us that x + z != y, then we know that |X| != Y - Z, which is sufficient.
There's a problem with your math here, which I've highlighted in red. If you are considering the case when X is negative, and you have the equation |X| = Y-X, then since X is negative you can replace |X| with -X. But you certainly should not replace Y-Z with Z-Y; Y-Z is still equal to Y-Z. That is, you should not apply a negative sign to both sides of the equation, as you did above; those will always just cancel each other out no matter what equation you look at. You want only to replace |X| with -X, nothing more. If it's not clear why that's the case, imagine a simpler equation: |x| = 3. When you want to find the negative solution for x, when you are getting rid of the absolute value brackets you don't put a negative sign on both sides of the equation - you only put a negative on the left side.

sourabh33 wrote:Is |X| = Y-Z ?

1. X+Z is not equal Y
2. X<0
If, from Statement 1, X+Z is not equal to Y, then certainly X is not equal to Y-Z. If X is not equal to Y-Z, and if X is positive, then |X| will also not equal Y-Z, so if X is positive, the answer to the question is 'no'. But we need to consider the possibility that X is negative as well - this is how we might get a 'yes' answer to the question. If, say, X = -1, Y = 2 and Z = 1, then Statement 1 is true (X+Z is not equal to Y) and |X| = Y-Z is also true - we can get a 'yes' answer to the question as well. The answer is E here, since it's also possible to get a 'no' answer when X is negative (just use the same numbers as before but let X be -10, say).
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by djiddish98 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:04 am
Thanks for taking the time to correct my error, Ian. Absolute Values always trip me up.