Number Properties : Data Sufficiency - GROCKIT

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
If each of c, d, and e is a one-digit number, what is the value of e?

(1) c = 1 and cde = 24

(2) d/c = 4 and d/e= 2/3

Answer is B

Considering the second statement of the problem , i solved it to a point where i have e/c =6 and given that c and e are one digit number we would get e=6 and c=1 but we can also have e= -6 and c= -1 since no where in the question it has been given that e and c are positive integers ?

Please advice ??
Regards
Aman

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by alltimeacheiver » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:56 am
i got c.

Let me explain how I dit it

d/c=4 then d=c4 and d and e are in ratios . so putting values we get 24. can anyone advice
Noone else will do it. Only I will do it. No Matter how difficult is my dream. Those who think can only achieve it.!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by testprepDublin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 am
Hi Aman,

I agree with you. From (2) we see c, d & e all have the same sign but you're right it could be positive or negative.

Where did you get the question from? I find there can sometimes be small errors like this in non-official questions.

Deirdre
Deirdre at testprepdublin.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:08 am
amandeep.hora wrote:If each of c, d, and e is a one-digit number, what is the value of e?

(1) c = 1 and cde = 24

(2) d/c = 4 and d/e= 2/3
It really comes down to whether or not "one-digit number" implies that the numbers (c, d and e) are strictly positive or they can be positive or negative.

If they can be positive or negative, then statement 2 is not sufficient (the rationale for this is well explained by other posters). If "one-digit number" implies that the numbers are strictly positive, then statement 2 is sufficient.

It might be useful to go to the OG12 for an answer. First, there's nothing in the math review section that indicates whether or not "one-digit number" implies that the number is strictly positive.

However, if we examine PS question #182 in the OG12, we are told that "... the two-digit integers M and N are positive..."

Since the OG12 makes a point of mentioning that M and N are positive, I think we can assume that, if this condition of positiveness were not added, then M and N could be either positive or negative.

So, going back to the original question, it seems that c, d and e can be either positive or negative.
As such, I believe the answer is C

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com