Nuclear fusion

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Nuclear fusion

by Optimus Prime » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 am
Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, and hydrogen bombs, merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors.
(A) merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors
(B) merging the nuclei of atoms instead of splitting them apart, like nuclear reactors
(C) merging the nuclei of atoms rather than splitting them apart, as nuclear reactors do
(D) and merges the nuclei of atoms but does not split them apart, as is done in unclear reactors
(E) and merges the nuclei of atoms, unlike atomic reactors that split them apart

Ron, please explain which one is correct.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:01 am
I would go with A.

B - 1. First, it is not clear what nuclear reactors are being likened to.
2. Second, all contenders (splitting / nuclear fusion) for this comparison do not fit the bill.

C - 1. rather than is not the right phrase for comparison. rather than is used to show preference. Instead of would have been better.
2. nuclear reactors do is a clause. So the comparison should be between two clauses. splitting them apart is not a clause

D - 1. Use of conjunction and is incorrect. The Sun is powered by the merging of the nuclei. These are not two independent phenomena.
2. Active to passive flip is awkward - but does not split them apart, as is done in unclear reactors

E - 1. Use of conjunction and is incorrect. The Sun is powered by the merging of the nuclei. These are not two independent phenomena.
2. Incorrect comparison - Nuclear fusion is being compared to atomic reactors
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 am
x rather than/instead of Y

B and C

Its comparing the action not nouns.So as must be used.

C
--Anand--

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 pm
hey -- this is one of the worst official problems i've seen, but, at the same time, it is an official problem, so we've got to learn from it.

you can strike the last two choices because they use "and" where they shouldn't -- a common mistake in spoken english. ironically, if you're a non-native speaker, you are probably a lot less likely to be fooled by these choices; the primary victims of incorrectly used "and" are native speakers, since "and" is grossly overused in just about every imaginable context of spoken english.
you should only use "and" when you are talking about two separate actions/things, unless "and" is paired with other words implying a relationship (such as "thereby" or "thus").

e.g.
there was a great deal of traffic today, and i was late to work --> this sentence actually implies that the traffic was NOT the reason why i was late to work; "and" implies that these two facts are separate and independent.
but
there was a great deal of traffic today, and i was thus late to work --> this sentence correctly implies the relationship, by using "thus".

so (d)/(e) are incorrect because they imply that "powering the sun, the stars, and hydrogen bombs" and "merging the nuclei of atoms" are just two separate things that nuclear fusion can do independently of each other. in context, this doesn't make sense; it's pretty clear from context that "merging the nuclei of atoms" is the way in which nuclear fusion powers these things.

--
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:55 pm
also:
you have to treat "X AND Y" as a SINGLE UNIT.
any modifier that modifies "X AND Y" must modify the whole thing, unless it contains words (such as "former" or "latter") that expressly isolate either X or Y.

so, in choice (a), "as in nuclear reactors" necessarily must modify all of "merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart".
that doesn't make sense; this modifier is only meant to modify the latter half of this compound. so (a) is incorrect.

--

as for (b):
when you use a "LIKE" modifier, the comparison is automatically made with the SUBJECT & ACTION of the modified clause.
for instance:
jim is friends with tom, like dave.
--> this MUST mean that:
* jim is friends with tom
* dave is also friends with tom
it CANNOT mean that jim is friends with both tom and dave.

applying this principle to choice (b), we arrive at the conclusion that nuclear reactors must do the same thing that nuclear fusion does. that's illogical here, since the entire point of this sentence is to contrast the two.

--

that leaves (c), which is still horrendously ugly, but is still the least ugly of the five.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm
Hey Ron,

In the case of using "and", let's assume for a second that both verbs are referring back to the force, would it be safe to say that GMAT would write it as "Nuclear fusion is the force that powers..." and "that merges..."
Yep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:19 pm
uwhusky wrote:Hey Ron,

In the case of using "and", let's assume for a second that both verbs are referring back to the force, would it be safe to say that GMAT would write it as "Nuclear fusion is the force that powers..." and "that merges..."
not the point -- this isn't a grammar issue. there's nothing wrong with the existing grammar; the issue is that "and" doesn't make sense.
this is not a problem of mechanics; it's impossible to detect a problem here by thinking about mechanical/grammatical issues.

the meaning of the sentence is that "merging the nuclei" is the way in which nuclear fusion powers those things. they are not two separate actions (see my examples above), so any construction that just connects them with "and" is going to be incorrect, unless you use "thereby" or some other word that correctly expresses the relationship.

--

same thing:
if i go to work today by driving on the freeway, it's incorrect to say "i'm going to take the freeway AND go to work."
this sentence is not ungrammatical -- it just doesn't make sense. the implied meaning is that i'm going to "take the freeway" (going to i-don't-know-where) and then, separately. i'm going to go to work.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:20 pm
lunarpower wrote:also:
any modifier that modifies "X AND Y" must modify the whole thing, unless it contains words (such as "former" or "latter") that expressly isolate either X or Y.

so, in choice (a), "as in nuclear reactors" necessarily must modify all of "merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart".
that doesn't make sense; this modifier is only meant to modify the latter half of this compound. so (a) is incorrect.
Ron,

Can you please elaborate on the point above, how do you determine whether the modifier is modifying all as oppose to partial?
Yep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:34 pm
uwhusky wrote:
lunarpower wrote:also:

Ron,

Can you please elaborate on the point above, how do you determine whether the modifier is modifying all as oppose to partial?
do you mean grammatically, or do you mean in terms of context?

grammatically, it's simple -- you should basically think of "x AND y" as a single word. so, as required by grammar, any modifier that tags "x AND y" must tag all of it.

the crux of the issue, then, is determining whether that's what you actually mean.

in this sentence, that's not what we actually mean, since nuclear reactors don't do both of these things.
there's no mechanical way to figure this out; you have to figure out meaning by thinking about meaning.

--

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:34 pm
simpler analogy for the above issue with "and":

let's say that BOTH tom and dave went to brazil last month.
...then if i write
i talked with tom and dave, who went to brazil last month
... then that's correct, since the modifier necessarily tags "tom and dave".

BUT
if only dave went to brazil, then
i talked with tom and dave, who went to brazil last month
is INCORRECT, because the modifier must still modify both tom and dave. if the intention is for the modifier to tag only dave, then you can't do this.

two ways to fix:
1) use "the latter"
i talked with tom and dave, the latter of whom went to brazil last month
(this is somewhat cumbersome, but at least it's correct)
or
2) split the construction
i talked with dave, who went to brazil last month, and with tom.
i talked with dave, who went to brazil last month, and tom.
both correct.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:43 pm
Thanks Ron! A billion thanks to you (topping niksworth).
Yep.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Optimus Prime » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 pm
Thanks a lot, Ron