Novel

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

Novel

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 am
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher's plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

1. The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words "Now a major motion picture" on the cover of each book.
2. Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
3. The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
4. The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
5. Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:19 am

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

C

by sumank8216 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 pm
IMO C

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:23 pm
gmatmachoman wrote:IMO D
Support your reasoning!! Why D?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by sunnyjohn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:54 pm
this is a crap Question...
this kind of Question will spoil your study..
Answer has to be either C or B.

C has more relevance.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:37 pm
sunnyjohn wrote:this is a crap Question...

C has more relevance.
Since no one asked your opinion about the quality of the question, pls keep the crap with you. Questions are posted for general discussion. If you can, just reply with your choice and reasoning. Tx.

OA - D

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 am
wow..thats a heated argument I see!!

Frustration dude..nothing much...

I opted D becox ,the term "capitalise" generally goes with tangible benefits where as D relates to the love of Actress towards the books that may or maynot materialse th yield direct tangible "capital/monetary" benefits.

All other options yield results that shall end up with some monetary benefits..

Hope I am clear..

Plz dont spoil ur mood by other's comments dude..Be cool,...

by sunnyjohn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:18 am
crackgmat007 wrote:

C has more relevance.
Since no one asked your opinion about the quality of the question, pls keep the crap with you. Questions are posted for general discussion. If you can, just reply with your choice and reasoning. Tx.

OA - D

ha ha ha...!!
I just told u for ur benefit...it will spoil ur study...! Replying in this manner wont prove u some Einstein..neither replying in ur manner will prove me some GMAT master..!

I saw the Question on other forum as well...that's why i know there is so strong explanation for this Question..and this Question is not from some standard reference as well...we call this type of Question as study spoiler... in the same way as "70 brutal Question"...!!

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:04 am
@sunnyJohn..

I see some heated debate is brewing up!!!

I shall request you to maintain the decorum of this "forum"

On a lighter side,We shall have appreciated u if u wuld have had popped out the right answer & then cribbed on the nature of the question..

Plz dont take it otherwise..Plz..

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:08 pm
sunnyjohn wrote:
crackgmat007 wrote:

C has more relevance.

OA - D

ha ha ha...!!
I just told u for ur benefit...it will spoil ur study...! Replying in this manner wont prove u some Einstein..neither replying in ur manner will prove me some GMAT master..!

I saw the Question on other forum as well...that's why i know there is so strong explanation for this Question..and this Question is not from some standard reference as well...we call this type of Question as study spoiler... in the same way as "70 brutal Question"...!!
@ gmatmachoman

Tx for the clarification

@ sunnyjohn

Actually dint try to prove something by replying. I was expecting some reasoning for the answer. Anyways, we need not discuss any further about the quality of question since your true intention was for my benefit.

by sunnyjohn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:40 pm
Hey Guys....

OK..Lets take this Question...

Conclusion : Publisher plan to publish the Novel on the same week of movie premier.

we have to find something which DOES NOT SUPPORT the soundness of plan.

Soundness here in my opinion means : is it a good step?
will it be successful..overall will it do something good for Publisher.

Now Option
A:) Printing on first page about movie : Yeah it may help for the publicity of novel, help may help to boost up the sale : benefit for publisher.

Movie --- Novel

B:) When a movie about the BIOGRAPHY of Author was Released, A novel by same Author became HIT.
So this actually slightly correct the soundness of plan, As movie is not on novel but it was somehow related to Novel.
Movie --- Author ---Novel

C:) Publisher got 200 grands for selling the production rights of novel.

I don't see any link here.

D:) Actress showed her love about novel on national television.
Yeah..
This may help...after seeing her interview, it might of interest of common public to read the novel..so this may tempt publisher to publish the novel..and get benefit.

E) Clear analogy...so its supporting the publisher decision.

@gmatmachoman

Please explain why do u think, D doesn't support the soundness of Plan, and how C and B support it.

My real confusion is in between B and C.
I picked C.

@The heated argument discussion
I think, when we used to solve Question in our class, we often use this word "crap", because GMAC has a habit to stuff too much CRAP(unnecessary information) in SC as well as CR.
So As a habit, I just used this word..This has nothing to do to defame anyone..I have no intention to breach any law of this forum.
Wish you all happy studying.

by kris77 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:13 pm
It seems to me that the right answer is C