Not GMAT vs. GRE, But What About GMAT & GRE?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Not GMAT vs. GRE, But What About GMAT & GRE?

by rrossjd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 am
Let's assume you've already secured a gmat score so high that re-taking the test would not be advisable. To illustrate, your gmat score is 730 for example. Though it certainly means that there is no added gain from securing from vying for a higher gmat score, does it also mean that securing a high GRE was also be ill advise? Or, is the opposite true? Especially after recognizing gmat skills may translate to a high GRE score with very little effort and time... And, understanding how you could numerically improve a prospective school's accepted students statistics... By potentially giving two very high test scores...

Thus, could there be a scenario where applying with a strong GMAT and a strong GRE score would be advisible. Hence, this query mainly concerns application strategy. And, for the sake of this question, let's say there really arn't other areas of your application that you could work on at the moment... For example, you were already smart enough to draft essays on the topics on likely to be similar to those on the unrealeased applications for Fall 2013... And, you're already practicing mock interviews. Etc.

As I see it, there are many strategic advantages of achiving a high GRE score diminished by only minor costs. Statistically speaking, since it's likely less people apply with a GRE score, a high score could help boost a school's average GRE score. And, let's face it, schools lust for high test score since it effects their national rankings. So not such your GMAT score boosts these scores average test scores, but so too does your possible high GRE score... And also, it shows metaphorically whatever tests and trials you face, no matter how varied, you'll succeed.

Though I've thought of many potential downside risks toward this approach, I'd like to see if other people can independently come up with the concerns that I have, before I share them in a follow up post. So, I now ask, would adding to your near perfect GMAT an equivalent or compatatively better GRE score, secured by little extra effort during a time other areas of your application have reached maximum progress for the moment, be a beneficial strategy to have your application stand out?