Not GMAT question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Not GMAT question

by bakhshaliyev » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 pm
Guys, we dispute over this issue at work... please help..

Within the three years we will have and improved RBPS framework which will enable the supervisory authority to better foresee, measure and manage all major threats to the banking system, and apply comprehensive forward-looking supervisory regimes, contributing to confidence of the banking system.
A)
B) thus contributing
C) hereby contribute
D) hereby contributing
E) thus contribute

My boss stands for (B) but i think it should be (C)..

Please explain..

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 pm
Contributing to the banking confidence, the framework will help to forsee the things better

what is wrong with A
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 am
To maintain parallelism we should use contribute and to conclude we use thus here.

So, IMO C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:31 pm
i believe wording here could be edited from "we will have and improved RBPS framework" to "we will have an improved RBPS framework" or if the intended meaning is in future perfect, the future perfect tense must precede the future simple.

consider revision here "to enable someone or something for something" or "to enable someone or something to do something" In your case it's clearly "to do something". In case if you read "to enable ... to better foresee" this should not mean that we separate infinitive part "to" from the verb, but rather we use "to" as preposition and no use of verb here takes place - we are using a noun, like in comparisons: "to enable someone for better + noun" the same can be with correct forms of verb+to (preposition)+better+noun. E.g. My decision to do an experiment directs me to better foreseeing risks associated/ or/My decision to do an experiment directs me to foresee risks associated better. Some words have the same spelling for verbs and nouns, and this may confuse readers seeing expressions like "to+better+verb/noun" here the intended word is noun and not verb. If you are using verb instead of noun, this is not correct.
finally, the word about "hereby". Linguists use this term in cases of doubt as a test to determine if a speech act is performative - if you can insert the word ""hereby"" into the statement, it is a good indication that the statement is performative. I think here there's no special need to use "hereby" also its use is still correct. Ans. choice in B :) is not appropriate meaning-wise nor it's grammatically sound.
Success doesn't come overnight!