No referent to the modifying phrase!!!Please explain.

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

Hi Stacey,
The above is an OG verbal review question. I agree that the correct answer is E, but can't fully understand the explanation given by OG for the option B being wrong.

For the option B OG states,

The modifying phrase has no referent.

As far I know, Using ,a present participle modifier as well an adverbial modifier, can modify either the verb of the preceding clause or the whole clause altogether. In the option B using modifies the verb 'detected' of the preceding clause, i.e; How the fetal heartbeats can be detected? It can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device. Apparently I couldn't find anything wrong with the answer B except that it is in passive voice and that was the exact reason for me to prefer E over B.

Am I missing something with the past participle modifier concept here? Is there some rule that
Present participle modifier can modify the verb of the preceding clause only if the doer of the action is present in the clause or in other words it is in the active voice.

Kindly clarify the above doubt and also the OG explanation for the option B.

Thanks,

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:50 am
who can detect by using ultrasound device fetal heart beats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

answer is E

this who is missing in B
A SMALL TOWN GUY

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 am
Received a PM (a long time ago!) asking for my reply.

First, FYI, I'm no longer participating on the BTG forums; please send any requests to our two participating instructors: Ron Purewal and Whitney Garner. I'm going to reply here but, going forward (including subsequent questions on this same issue), please talk to Whit and/or Ron.

When you have a "comma -ing" setup, that modifier should refer to the primary action (typically subject + verb) of the main clause to which it is attached. In addition, a following "comma -ing" modifier should discuss something that follows on from or is a consequence of that preceding subject+verb action.

For example:
Fetal heartbeats can be detected, resulting in a very happy mom.
Fetal heartbeats can be detected, allowing the doctor to gauge the health of the baby.

That sort of thing. Go check B again. Is that what's going on here? By basic meaning, that modifier's happening BEFORE the main clause action, isn't it? Oops. :)

So... that modifier could refer to WHO is using the device... but B doesn't give us the "who." That's why the official explanation complains that there's no referent. Honestly, there are other ways to correct the sentence; that's just one. Whoever wrote the explanatio knows how the correct answer (E) is eventually going to fix the problem (by adding the referent), so that's why the person explained it that way. But it's not the best explanation.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 am
yes.. moreover the choice E, is not consistent with the MGMAT explanation of Passive voice on pg 51.

The unmentioned " physician"is not important to the sentence.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by KrishnenduB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 pm
the 'no referent' for the modifying phrase is solved in E by bringing 'a physician' into the picture.