no clue

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

no clue

by armaan700+ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 am
Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted from gold mined in West Africa, in the area that is now Senegal. The gold mined in this region was the purest known. Its gold content of 92 percent allowed coins to be minted without refining the gold, and indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content. The mints could refine gold and produced other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content, but the Senegalese gold was never refined.
13. Which one of the following inferences about gold coins minted in medieval Spain is most strongly supported by the information the numismatist gives?
(A) Coins minted from Senegalese gold all contained the same weight, as well as the same proportion of gold.
(B) The source of some refined gold from which coins were minted was unrefined gold with a gold content of less than 92 percent.
(C) Two coins could have the same monetary value even though they differed from each other in the percentage of gold they contained.
(D) No gold coins were minted that had a gold content of less than 92 percent.
(E) The only unrefined gold from which coins could be minted was Senegalese gold.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am
armaan700+ wrote:Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted from gold mined in West Africa, in the area that is now Senegal. The gold mined in this region was the purest known. Its gold content of 92 percent allowed coins to be minted without refining the gold, and indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content. The mints could refine gold and produced other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content, but the Senegalese gold was never refined.
13. Which one of the following inferences about gold coins minted in medieval Spain is most strongly supported by the information the numismatist gives?
(A) Coins minted from Senegalese gold all contained the same weight, as well as the same proportion of gold.
(B) The source of some refined gold from which coins were minted was unrefined gold with a gold content of less than 92 percent.
(C) Two coins could have the same monetary value even though they differed from each other in the percentage of gold they contained.
(E) The only unrefined gold from which coins could be minted was Senegalese gold.
my pick is (c)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660

by DeepakR » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 am
When answering inference question firstly, we need to pick the answer choice that can be framed from the information given in the stimulus. Secondly avoid extreme words.

I would go with OA) C.

- No information about weight is mentioned anywhere so ignore this choice.

- Only info about refining gold is given with 92% gold content.

- Since the mint could refine gold and produce other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content we can infer this probably.

- Too strong

-- Too extreme and strong

-Deepak

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 am
I would choose B

A- It never mentions weight

B- My pick

C- The stimilus never discusses the value of the coinage

D- We don't know what the content of the refined gold was. It never discusses the standard to which refined gold coins were held to

E- We know that no other gold was purer than Senegalese gold, but we don't know if any other gold could match their gold's purity.

Choose B

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by ajith » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:14 am
armaan700+ wrote:Numismatist: In medieval Spain, most gold coins were minted from gold mined in West Africa, in the area that is now Senegal. The gold mined in this region was the purest known. Its gold content of 92 percent allowed coins to be minted without refining the gold, and indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content. The mints could refine gold and produced other kinds of coins that had much purer gold content, but the Senegalese gold was never refined.
B for me

A - No constraint on weight is mentioned in the passage
C - Not Mentioned, neither can be inferred
D - Not mentioned
E - Cannot be inferred from data given
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

by okigbo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 am
I'm stuck between B and C?

Experts: what is the trap/key to unlocking the right answer between these two?? Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vinny_r78 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:32 pm
I would go with B. What is the OA?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vinny_r78 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm
C is wrong because it talks about "Monetary value". The original question does not mention anything about "Monetary Value".

GMAT Score:690

by pkw209 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm
I would go B.

I thought C for a second because the passage says "indeed coins minted from this source of gold can be recognized because they have that gold content." However, coins minted from this source of gold implies that Senegal gold can be recognized. In other words, the author isn't comparing two different types of coins but rather two of the same. therefore, we know nothing about the monetary values of two similar but different coins.

Also, monetary value is never discussed in the passage as someone mentioned.

Official answer?

by vscid » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

OA is B.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

by dmitriyaleyev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:32 pm
Easy question if u read carefully.
B

The gold was the PUREST known. Its content was 92. Other coins could be minted but they have to be refined. Thus their original content must have been less than 92 because 92 is the max.

by gauravgundal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 am
From other source:

B or D.
Most coins were minted from gold in Sengal. So some coins weren't.

If from Sengal, then gold content is 92% and was the purest known. nothing higher than 92%.

If gold content is 92%, coins could be minted w/o refining. Gold can be refined to jack up the gold %, but stimulus says that the Senegalese Gold was never refined. It is feasible that gold w/ < 92% was used in the refining process to create a "purer gold content" coin.

I would go w/ B. - all it says is that the source of some refined gold from which coins were minted was unrefined gold with a gold content of less than 92 percent.

It's less restrictive than D and fits all of the restrictions in the argument.

by chaya009 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am
Thanks dmitriyaleyev, good explanation.

by joseph32 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:28 pm
I am leaning more towards B, but I'm not sure about it.