New to this

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New to this

by jymalchi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 am
To Whom it May Concern:
I am just starting to think about an MBA and trying to figure out the best path for me. I had an inspiring discussion with an EMBA student from Kellogg on the plane the other day that really got me interested in a program like that. I am a bit confused where I fit in and what I would need to make sure I put myself in the best position when I finally apply. I went to undergrad at Union College in Schenectady, NY and graduated in 2003 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.6). I went on to graduate school and received my Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in 2007 from Penn State University (GPA 3.9). After my Ph.D. I decided to go into industry and got a job at an aerospace consulting firm working with rocket engines on the technical staff. I have been doing that for 2 years now. I like the technical side, but I am also very interested in the business and management side. I have always been told that I have a more outgoing personality than the "typical" person with a Ph.D. in Engineering and that I am really good at working with people. I think an MBA will be an excellent compliment to my technical background.

I am confused about whether or not I need management experience before I apply for an MBA. Also, do MBA admissions programs count my years doing my Ph.D. work as work experience? Will having a Ph.D. give me any advantage in the application process? Would you recommend holding off until I have more work/managerial experience? I really liked the idea of an executive MBA and the guy I talked to on the plane couldn't find one bad thing to say about it. From reading on the internet, it seems EMBA students usually have extensive managerial experience. Does this make me not fit for an EMBA? I am assuming my first step is to take the GMATS, is this a good starting point? Thanks for your help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:54 pm
Hi and thanks for your note. You have a lot of questions so let me take them one by one:

I am confused about whether or not I need management experience before I apply for an MBA.
Generally, with very few exceptions, you do need management experience. Not necessarily "management" in the sense of directly managing people but work experience. Two to five years is typical. Given you PhD, two to three would probably be fine.
Also, do MBA admissions programs count my years doing my Ph.D. work as work experience?
No. It's education.
Will having a Ph.D. give m any advantage in the application process?
Possibly. It will certainly set you apart in the sense that not many applicants have doctorates (a few MDs, a few PhDs, etc., make it into each class but they are not typical). The real challenge for you is going to be to connect your PhD work with your work experience with what you plan do with an MBA. An MBA should be positioned as a continuation of a career progression or "arc" as I like to call it.
Would you recommend holding off until I have more work/managerial experience?
No, not necessarily. If you feel like you are sharply focused and have gaps that that an MBA can fill that you want to fill now then I would say that you are probably ready.
I really liked the idea of an executive MBA and the guy I talked to on the plane couldn't find one bad thing to say about it. From reading on the internet, it seems EMBA students usually have extensive managerial experience. Does this make me not fit for an EMBA? I am assuming my first step is to take the GMATS, is this a good starting point? Thanks for your help.
An EMBA is usually for somebody with 10-15 years of management experience. They are usually pretty deep into their careers and the business education will not be as basic. I don't think that an EMBA is right for you as an applicant or as a business student --an MBA seems like the right level for you, both in terms of rigor (high!!) but also starting point (not so far along).
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html