New Job 10 months before applying

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New Job 10 months before applying

by polarmar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 pm
Hi,

I am contemplating to take a new job in the Middle East with a sustainability strategy (corporate responsibility) consulting firm. The firm is a local firm; however, it is very credible and established in this field in this region. I am planning to apply to MBA Programs in October for fall 2013. (w/ Ross, Haas, and Stanford being my top choices). I am curious whether taking this job will improve my profile or not as opposed to continue on Tech Consulting (which I have done for three years - one consulting firm, one client!)

Demographic
Middle Eastern/26/M

Profile:
B.Sc Aerospace Engineering, 3.9 GPA, top ranked US state college.
3 years of Tech Consulting in a Top tier Consulting Firm.
Spent 4-5 months of volunteering and social involvements in three different countries in the world.
GMAT is 730 (Quant 86th, Verbal 98th percentiles) - I know the Quant is not good enough, but I don't think it is a good reason to re-take it. I can make a case that 4 years of intense math classes (mostly all aced) are more indicative of one test gone bad.

Will taking this job affect my profile negatively or positively for getting into Ross (Haas and Stanford are my far-fetched shot)? What schools I might realistically have good shot at?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 pm
Dear polarmar,

The only reason taking this opportunity might negatively affect your admissions evaluation is if the job makes no sense in relation to your career goals. In other words, it does not broaden, deepen, and/or increase your knowledge or skill set and is completely opposite of what you want to do post-MBA. However, if the new opportunity is more closely aligned with your post-MBA goals and will give you new skills/enhance current skills necessary in your future career path, then the job might be worth considering--especially if you feel your tech consulting work is stagnant. As for your GMAT, I am not convinced either that you need to retake it as a 730 is competitive for any program and your 86% on quant is pretty strong. When combined with your GPA in an engineering program, I do think you have evidence of quantitative aptitude. I think your 3 target schools are possibilities for you, but as I suggest to any MBA aspirant, you should add at least 1-2 safety options to the mix.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by polarmar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:05 am
Thanks Lisa for your input.

Would only 10 months on the new job be a negative thing, considering it is the new direction that aligns with my post MBA goals?

Also, would McCombs and SMU's Cox be good safety schools considering my profile?

I appreciate your input again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am
10 months is pretty close to a year, so I am not overly concerned with the time. It is really more of a question on how much the new job aligns with your post-MBA goals. If you feel it will move you in that direction and give you necessary skills for your future career path, then it is certainly worth strong consideration. In regards to your profile, I do think SMU and UT are more reasonable options, where your profile is at or above average.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me