NEW CAT METHODOLOGY MGMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

NEW CAT METHODOLOGY MGMAT

by Joeitaly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:26 am
Have you seen this notification on MGMAT's website regarding their new CAT CALIBRATION? I tried to find information on their site, but my account was not responsive when I clicked on the links.

"We have recalibrated our CAT scoring. CATs taken AFTER 11:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2012 are scored according to the new calibration. Older CAT scores are unaffected." - MGMAT

Check it out. I am curious to hear what people say about the differences...

Best Regards,

Joe

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by Joeitaly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am
Let me know when you do and what you think

by kaushaljain1985 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 pm
I took the new calibrated test yesterday. My verbal score was higher compared to my gmat prep score. Even if its compared to my existing mgmat score, i did better at my verbal score. Quants scores seemed to be accurate. I am not sure how different is the new calibrated test. This score was my highest score till date. Is the new test supposed to be tough and reduce your scores compared to the earlier ones or should it be other way round?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 am
This is what the rest of the link says:

Why are scores being recalibrated?
We periodically recalibrate to have our CAT scores correspond to actual GMAT scores as closely as possible. In addition, the percentiles in our system now match the latest percentiles published by GMAC (earlier this month). These percentiles, especially on the quant side, are undergoing significant shifts.

What is the effect of the recalibration?
New Quant subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 2 points (11 percentile points). New Verbal subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 3 points (5 percentile points). New Overall scores, on average, are lower by approximately 27 points, which is about 1 standard error on the GMAT itself.

What does this mean for me?
When you compare older scores to scores generated after noon on August 29th, you should subtract 2-3 points from each old subscore and about 25-30 points from the old overall score, to get a rough sense of how you would have done under the new scoring. We know that this is a significant recalibration, one that impacts your sense of your progress. We're committed to making our CATs ever better over time.

by Joeitaly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:20 am
I am going to take a practice CAT on MGMAT today and post my thoughts on the differences in scores and what I noticed compared to previous practice CATs taken. The last post seems to contradict what the other one said in terms of the overall score effects. Hopefully many people will post their findings so that we can get a large enough sample size to determine differences.

by Joeitaly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Ok, so I just finished with my first MGMAT CAT after the announced changes and scored a 680. 45 Q and 37 V. The quant is about the same but my verbal is actually higher. This is the highest I have scored so far on these CATs. Very interesting that the website says they should be lower. Anyone else taken the new CAT yet?