Need your opinion!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need your opinion!

by chster » Sun May 20, 2012 4:59 am
Hi,
I just started looking at MBA as a serious option recently. And think I could really use some help from the experienced people, because my case may be a bit uncommon.

I am a 33-year-old male. Chinese.
Went to USC for graduate school. PhD in a non-IT major from Engineering school
only 3 year working experience by next August in the R&D center of an F500 company
Not sure if my GPA for undergraduate still matters here.
Haven't taken GMAT yet, but it's easier than GRE to me. >700 shouldn't be a problem.

After MBA, I would like to take up a position in a consultancy firm focusing on the same field or play a role in global strategy and management for a leading company. My strength is analytical thinking (thanks to my PhD training), international exposure (study and work in three continents), cross unit collaboration experience. I really think my future is beyond just R&D, while my training and experience from research actually can be crucial for the career later.

My weakness is very obvious. Relatively old with relatively short WE. My experience in management and leadership is growing gradually, but nothing jumping out comparing to lots of other applicants. Right now I supervise a small research team and chair the committee which oversees the daily operation of the site.

I hope I can gain some honest feedback from you. What effect will having a PhD have on my application? Is the combination of my age and WE a big disadvantage to me? Getting MBA is a big decision not only career wise, also money wise. At this stage of my life, I would only go for it if it's from a top school. I have no idea what the odds are. And this is the reason I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Fri May 25, 2012 9:28 am
Hello chster, thanks for your question.

I agree that your age is a potential barrier for a lot of top programs. Typically 3 years of work experience is not a challenge, but with your age it could be.

For you, perhaps the biggest advice I could give is: In terms of your post-MBA goals, paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. Demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Identify the specific gaps that stand between you and your short- and long-term goals (knowledge, skills, experiences, network, etc.) and show how business school would directly address those gaps.

What would an MBA give you that your graduate degrees do not? Why is this important and crucial for you to obtain your career goals? Why haven't you bridged these gaps sooner? The better you can answer these questions for the admissions committees, the more competitive you will be.

And, of course, your chance at the top programs will depend on your GMAT. Practice tests can often be unreliable - in both directions - in predicting actual performance!

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php