Need your advice!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need your advice!

by Shiram » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:38 pm
Hello guys!
I just came home from the GMAT center! Scored 540 (M 42, V 23). Obviously, verbal is my weak part as I'm not a native speaker. I was struggling for the last two weeks in order to get more points on this part, but still not there.

My university asks for 550. Do you think that I have a chance with my score and GPA of 4.9 out of 5?
Or I'd rather retake the GMAT? If so, what should be my strategy?

If we look at the Verbal part. I was able to get 75-85% on SC, but CR + RC are way lower. Should I concentrate on reading speed, study vocabulary or apply some specific strategy?
For the Cr, I read "Power Bible" and "Princeton Review". After all my accuracy improved, but not that much.

Any of your advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Marina

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:26 pm
If cr and rc are ur weaknesses, i suggest u practice them a lot. Then you ll know the strategies which work for you..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm
You've just mentioned that your university asks for a 550.Is it the minimum cut-off ? If it is ,then you have to obviously take the exam. If it is not, then 540 or 550 will not make a difference. However, the better your GMAT score is ,the better are your chances to make it through a school.
If you plan to re-take the GMAT, you should have a concrete plan of action . You have to prepare in such a way that you know for sure that you are making quantifiable improvement.Doing vocabulary is not going to be helpful ,though a good vocabulary always helps you interpret things faster. I'd suggest that you go through the GMAT articles in the "Self study" section of this website and practice in a systematic way.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Shiram » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:42 am
eternal_optimist, thank you for the idea about cut-off. That's what I'm going to ask today while visiting the University.

Anyway, do you think if it's possible to improve verbal part in 1 month?

Thanks,
Marina