Need support and advice - 2nd attempt, 490!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi all,

I'm writing this after being completely shocked with a 490 GMAT score today at the testing centre. It was my 2nd attempt and I'm left feeling completely at a loss as to how to improve, and I'm also left doubting my abilities.

I went to a business school in the top 3 in Canada, and have worked in a reputable Canadian company for the last 3 1/2 years. I am aiming to get into a decent MBA in Canada as well, but am left completely discouraged and saddened about my ability to get a good score... let alone get into a good school!

However, I want to try it 1 last time and give it my 150%... I need to know that this time around, I did everything within my power, because, now, thinking back, I know I could have done better in my prep.

I'm looking for your valuable advice on where I can improve - please don't be shy to be honest - I need all the advice and support I can get!
---

GMAT Attempt 1 (Aug 2009) - 520 (Q 32, V 29), AWA 6

Lead up to attempt 2:
Kaplan 610 (Q 39, V 37)
GMAT Prep1 650 (Q46, V 34)
GMAT Prep 2 640 (Q 42, 36)

GMAT Attempt 2 (Sept 2010) - 490 (Q 28, V 29), AWA Pending
---

Books used for Attempt 2:
- OG 11
- QG Quant Workbook
- OG Verbal Workbook
- Veritas prep material (I have all their books and did them)
- Kaplan Quant workbook

What I think my weaknesses are:
- Quant is a major major weakness, specifically, I lack the ability to understand a question and know what correct approach to take within 2 minutes
- Quant, Verbal timing needs to improve (I avg 3 min a question for most times)
- Verbal --> I need to apply the concepts I've learned in CR, SC, RC - because on the actual test, I blank out and go automatically to what my "ear" tells me. But, I need to train myself to think in a strategic manner, so that when I see any verbal on the GMAT, I should know how to break it down (eg identify subject, verb etc)

When do I hope to retake?
- Nov first week (that leaves me with about 7 weeks)

What's my target score:
- A modest 610 on the actual GMAT

Questions
1) How can I get better at math?
2) I feel I need a change in study material - I heard MGMAT is good - any advice on what material I should get, to gain a 610?
3) I work a full time job and plan on studying 3 hrs every weeknight and 5 hrs/day on the weekend... is it possible to get 610, with approx 25 hrs of study in 7 weeks?
4) Motivation/words of support/doable? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:49 pm
Really sorry to hear your test experience. It hurts indeed when you don't get a score you were expecting.

But 490 to 610 is definitely doable. It seems that your weakness is primarily Math. Fortunately, improving Math is quite easier than improving verbal. With right materials in hand and good practice, you can definitely ace the GMAT math.

Materials

MGMAT is definitely great in building Math skills although I'm not a big fan of their verbal content.

Get hold of all MGMAT Math guides. It's definitely useful for many people who have taken Math long time ago or who are weak in Math. Its content is easily digestible starting from basics to Advanced. Work diligently on the guides and prepare flashcards (points that are difficult for you to digest or points that are very important for you to remember). You will get access to 6 MGMAT CATs when you buy at least one of their guides. Take each practice test under test conditions with AWA and analyze your performance thoroughly.

You should be able to succeed if you follow this plan. At the same time, Don't tend to neglect Verbal. Getting a low score in Verbal really hurts your overall percentile. You seem to be fine or better in verbal when compared to quants. Just work a little more on your verbal to increase the score by 4-5 points.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

GMAT Score:760

by CaseNX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:29 pm
Celestia,

The 8 MGMAT books were the most effective and efficient study guide for me. I think they do a much better job than the OG at explaining problem types, formulas, solving techniques, etc.

I would start with one of the more basic math books and work your way to the harder ones. Read through the first book and do every normal practice problem. Make flashcards as you go. Make them easy to read, and include a sample problem. If you find tips/insights about a formula as you read, add it to the card.

Once you finish the normal problems, if you feel comfortable, try the advanced ones. If not, turn straight back to the problem set for the 1st chapter, solve them, then do the same for the rest of the chapters. At this point you should feel comfortable with those problem types and can proceed to the advanced ones. Do your best on these, and don't feel discouraged if they seem pretty hard. This is a process. The goal is to practice perfectly, not make up for imperfection with volume.

The mental cheat sheet that comes with resolving problem will instill confidence and familiarity with the problem types. When you go to resolve a problem you got wrong, you will have a good hint at what you did wrong and thus a push in the right direction. This also works great for CR and SC problems. It is very important that you look at every solution; understand where you went wrong.

Once you have done this for each book, you can start 'randomly' turning to problem sets and seeing how you do. You could even put your flashcards in columns on a bulletin board that you can place in front of you while studying. This may help you train your mind to classify the problem and correctly identify the formula you need. After a while you may 'see' that board in your head and it will serve as a reminder of what you need to do. I did not do this, but I think it would have helped me to more quickly identify problem types. The more it's hard-wired, the smaller the likelihood that you'll freeze up and forget. You will most likely run into at least a problem or two that catches you by surprise. WHEN that happens, know how you're going to handle it. Don't freak, just take a breath and look at it again. Think about how you're going to handle problems when time is running out, etc.

The MGMAT practice tests are very helpful. When I got to that phase, I would take one, review every problem and then go back to the first one and quickly resolve them in the same manner as I did with the problem sets in the books. Look at the analysis that comes with the practice tests. It will tell you where you are weak.

Fear/Anxiety is clearly your nemesis. I know that this test is important, but you can't let it get to you. Make fun of it, personify it by drawing it as a weakling has-been bodybuilder who has been ravaged by steroids and spray tan. Whatever it takes to kill the intimidation factor. Also, I think the single greatest thing you can do right before taking this test is simply relax. At this point you have worked hard, and you know that you know the formulas. Now the best thing you can do is breathe.

Feel free to send me PMs as you progress. This test is quite beatable if you have a good strategy. Also, congrats on the AWA 6. I didn't do anything for that and got a 4. :) I can write and analyze just fine, but I didn't spend any time on it and didn't follow the format they like. Silly me.

by celestia007 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:28 am
Thanks CaseNX for that detailed rundown.

The 8 MGMAT Strategy guides are arriving in the mail today and I'm really looking forward to getting into them. I know my math prep could have been much better, so I'm going to focus on what you said: practice perfectly - not just do several questions but not completely understand it.

I've also started a blog that allows me to keep track and keep motivated with this journey. This is war! ;)

by celestia007 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:23 pm
Good luck in your attempt Jackhero!

I'd say - chose the approach that works the best for you! Personally, I find I'm a better studier when I cut everything off and focus on one major goal at a time. But, I have friends of mine who've done well on the GMAT while relaxing throughout it all. It's what you're most comfortable with.

Most importantly though, half the GMAT battle is the mindgame. I believe I let it get the best of me, and that's why, 2nd time around, I score way lower than my GMAT Prep practice scores.

So, whatever you do... just make sure you've conquered your inner critic and walk into that exam room confident about the work you've put in and what your knowledge is like.

cheers!
Celestia