Need suggestions regarding selection of schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690
Hi,

I plan to apply for the fall 2014 intake and here's my profile:

GMAT: 690(Q 49 V 34) (Haven't got my official scorecard yet)

Indian Male aged 24

3 yrs (37 months) experience in IT sector. Working as a software consultant for Accenture.

Have a GPA of 3.1 as an Undergraduate.

And, as far as the extra curricular activities are concerned, I have been teaching in an orphanage, which houses 24 orphans, for the past 1.5 years. As a matter of fact I'm one of those who set up the organisation.
I'm also a regular participant in the CSR activities.

This is a very brief description of myself.
I request experts/peers to evaluate my profile. The colleges I'm looking at include Kelly, Tepper and Urbana Champaigne (certain personal reasons, I rate this highest).

Do I have a chance of making into the above mentioned schools. Suggestions regarding the selection of schools are warmly welcome.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 am
vivekchandrams wrote:Hi,

Indian Male aged 24

3 yrs (37 months) experience in IT sector. Working as a software consultant for Accenture.

And, as far as the extra curricular activities are concerned, I have been teaching in an orphanage, which houses 24 orphans, for the past 1.5 years. As a matter of fact I'm one of those who set up the organisation.

I request experts/peers to evaluate my profile. The colleges I'm looking at include Kelly, Tepper and Urbana Champaigne (certain personal reasons, I rate this highest).

Do I have a chance of making into the above mentioned schools. Suggestions regarding the selection of schools are warmly welcome.

Vivek,

Your work setting up and teaching at the orphanage is admirable. Will your involvement there be transparent (like a website?).

In terms of Tepper and Kelly, I think you do have a shot as both those schools are software engineer friendly. I would like to see you raise your gmat score if possible given your gpa and to give yourself more breathing room. What were your AWA and IR scores?

I think your chances at Illinois are good with some solid essays.

Good Luck!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm
Hey there,

I'd love to chime in here but I had a question. What do you do for Accenture? What level of responsibilities / clients, etc. How do you rank against your peers?

I ask because you're on the younger end for the programs you've listed. Your GMAT is pretty good (as Alex mentioned, if you have time to bring it up, I'd recommend it as well) but at 24 applying to those schools which are friendly to engineers and technology folks, you'll be up against some very similar profiles. Therefore, differentiation comes down to what you did.

Look forward to learning more!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by vivekchandrams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 pm
Experts, thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

Alex and Bhavik, I once gave a thought of taking the test again, but certain considerations pulled me back. My scores in the last 5 tests before the official exam were:

TPR10: 660
MGMAT1: 690
MGMAT2: 690
MGMAT3: 700
MGMAT4: 700

So, the score that I got is perfectly in line with my mock test scores.

Please suggest if I really do need to take the test again.

Alex, can you please elaborate on 'my involvement being transparent'. I don't want to be misunderstood by my reply as per my current understanding. And, I have not received my Official score card yet. So I don't know my AWA and IR scores

Bhavik, I'm a Software Engineer at Accenture. My yearly performance ranks me in the top 20% of the organisation. I don't mean I'm the top most performer, but yes, I do rank good against my peers. I have got 'The best performer' award, which is awarded quarterly, twice.

Please provide your evaluation of above mentioned factors too.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 pm
Hey there,

That's great - so you're clearly a strong performer. The reason I asked is because Accenture isn't a top tier brand but being able to list your relative performance gives the adcoms a good benchmark.

As to your GMAT, your verbal is pretty low. I'm sure you saw the new GMAT percentile report that was released but if you can bring that verbal up, even just a LITTLE, you're going to break 700 and a score that starts with a 7 is so much better than a score that starts with a 9.

I think you have enough time to retake it and hit R2 deadlines and I think it would really help. Not only would it improve your chances at the schools you've listed, but it would let you stretch a little further and go for a rank or two (or three) higher as well!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:06 am
vivekchandrams wrote:Hi,

Indian Male aged 24

Hi Vivek,

Given close to 4 yrs of exp (by the time you might join a school) and 690 on GMAT, we see very good chances at Kelley Indiana and Urbana.
But Tepper, though technology focused, prefers tech applicants with higher GMAT score. We have had many admits to Tepper in last 5 yrs but we have observed that most tech admits have 720+ on GMAT.

You may decide to apply to Tepper at 690 but then your essays have to be phenomenal. Coherent story, clarity of though and clear differentiation.

If you can devote a month more to GMAT and get a 720 on retake we would recommend doing that.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

by vivekchandrams » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:08 am
Hey all,
Thank you for your expert suggestions.
Just wanted to add my AWA & IR scores.

AWA 4.5

IR 8

What role do these scores play in the admission process

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm
A marginal one, honestly. Your IR score is great and that will help. However, most of the schools aren't using that as a serious consideration factor yet for a couple of reasons. For one, there aren't enough years of data to really understand how scores will shake out and, in relation, what the percentiles would be. Secondly, it isn't part of your overall score and therefore isn't reported for ranking purposes.

Your AWA is fine - nothing particularly special but not bad. With a 4.5, it'll probably be a non-event. Won't hurt, won't help.

Also - typo! I said a score that starts with a 9 earlier...clearly meant 6. If you got a score that started with a 9, way to break the system! :)

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter