Need some suggestions

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need some suggestions

by ConorMurch » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:08 pm
Hello everyone,
I'm posting because I am in desperate need of some advice on how to tackle this test.

Little bit of background:
I've always wanted to go to Business School and from it, get a great job and get some great networking out of it. I currently hold a degree in Bus Admin from SJSU. My work experience is basically ten years of retail sales (3+ in leadership) with one year of medical billing thrown in the mix.

I have purchased the full set of Manhattan GMAT books (about 2 years old?) and signed up for a Veritas course (got the books as well). Sadly, I went to a couple of Veritas classes but stopped going. It felt like everyone else was so far ahead of me when it came to understanding the basics or picking up on things, especially when it came to Math. I've only ever taken one exam, which I don't really count because I became frustrated and just pretty much guessed my way out of it.

Couple of questions;
-I heard that the test has changed;does that make my books out of date?
-Are different programs such as Manhattan, Veritas, etc catered to different styles/people?

I thing that I really need to refresh on the basics before I can get into any of the more complicated stuff that the test throws as me.

Currently I am just to get a score of close to 670-700.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 pm
I cannot speak to the different testing companies but the test has not changed in a way that will significantly affect the usefulness of the materials you already have. They dropped a writing section in favor of a new integrated reasoning section. The verbal and quant sections are more or less the same (I'm sure they are continuously fine-tuning the adaptive algorithm).

There are tons of reviews here and lots of people have had great experiences with learning materials on their own. I happen to really like the manhattan GMAT books as they are sufficiently advanced while at the same time comprehensive. You'll be in good shape with those. Once you get through the books take a practice test online and you'll get some sense of whether you need to sign up for a class.

The one thing you should note though is that you are older than the average candidate by at least 4 years already. You may be more in line with the executive or part time programs. Nonetheless if you are really invested in getting a full time degree your only challenge will be to prove that NOW is really the time.
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"