Need Inspiration to Study While Working 8-5pm

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Inspiration to Study While Working 8-5pm

by achala » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:18 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm studying for the GMAT and realized I needed a little external motivation. Hoping this forum can help me out.

My Story
I took the GMAT for the first time back in 2013 and got a 530 (32Q 30V). I had taken a Princeton Review class at work but towards the last month of studying I completely lost all motivation because I was so stressed out at work. It was also my first year out of college so I didn't really know how to balance both. I ended up slacking after getting a few ~640s on practice tests and was really disappointed in myself.

I finally got the courage to study again and started to review my old materials mid-Jan. I've scheduled my test for the first week of May (~2 months left) and I'm getting nervous that I'm not putting enough time in. I'm having a hard time staying focused after an entire's day work.

I'm using the Magoosh 3 month study plan and the MGMAT practice tests which I really like. In my most recent practice test I scored a 570 (36Q 30V), which made me realize that I hadn't improved AT ALL in verbal. It looks like my biggest weakness is Sentence Correction.

Any tips on how to incorporate studying into your work week and staying focused? Would also love any tips on how to improve on Sent. Correction.

My goal is a 680+ and I think I can achieve it.

Thanks!
Achala

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:03 pm
Hi achala,

Many Test Takers have full-time jobs and busy lives, so you're not alone in the things that you're facing. Since many people do their best/clearest thinking earlier in the day, you might find it beneficial to go to bed a little earlier and wake up a little earlier - so that you can study for an hour or so BEFORE you go to work.

1) When you took this CAT, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:17 pm
Hi Achala.

One way to motivate yourself is change the way you are preparing.

For one thing, you could call what you are doing training rather than studying, because in a sense what you are doing is training for a game, the GMAT game.

Another thing that can really help is working on what is annoying you or what you are curious about rather than what a study plan is telling you to work on.

For instance, if you tend to have trouble with sentence correction, or with some type of quant question, work on what you having trouble with. In my own training I found that I would be curious about or annoyed by something, and that getting myself to work on what I was curious about or annoyed by was not very difficult.

If you are curious about how some people always get those absolute value questions right, work on absolute value. If you are annoyed that you took so long to answer a question involving triangles, work on triangle stuff.

Another thing that you could do is to treat preparing more like playing a video game. You can do topic focused practice sets of questions and see how many you can get right. If you are not satisfied, learn some more about the topic you just worked on and do another set. Shoot for a high hit rate. Can you get 80% right? 90%?

Make it fun.

Regarding improving in verbal, in particular in SC, the video game model can be a good one there too. You could slow waaaaay down, taking 10 minutes or more per practice question and shoot for a high hit rate.

If you were to take 15 minutes per verbal question, could you get 90 - 100% right? If not, then something about the processes you use when handling verbal questions has to be changed. Maybe you are not paying enough attention to logic and details.

Are you clear about what is going on in CR questions? Are you looking for meaning in SC questions? Are you really clear about what RC passages do or do not say?

GMAT verbal is largely a test of vision. So slow down when doing the questions and work on seeing what you need to see in order to score higher. After a while, seeing the logic and details will come more naturally to you and at that point you will be able to get the questions right more quickly.

Overall, just keep doing some work regularly and you may find that you get so accustomed to doing some GMAT stuff every evening that doing it becomes easier than not doing it. You can even see it as a way to relax and unwind.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:26 pm
One other (maybe obvious) bit of advice: mix it up! If you have a 2 hr window of time to study after work, don't do 2 full hours of parallelism. Do 30 min of parallelism, 30 min of CR random problems, 30 min of some quant topic, then 30 min of review.

The more you chop it into bite-sized chunks and space it over time, the more you'll retain.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:59 pm
Hi Achala,
While not optimal for a lot of people, one option would also be to use vacation days to study so that you can completely focus on studying for the GMAT. Usually, I find the people who are working full time that do that best are those who study for several months, and then who do a couple weeks of intensive studying. I know that isn't what most people would like to do with their vacation, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

As for the studying that you do while not on vacation, I agree with Rich- try to study in morning. It takes a week or two to get used to, but most people are usually more efficient in the morning once they get into the rhythm.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:21 am
achala wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm studying for the GMAT and realized I needed a little external motivation. Hoping this forum can help me out.

My Story
I took the GMAT for the first time back in 2013 and got a 530 (32Q 30V). I had taken a Princeton Review class at work but towards the last month of studying I completely lost all motivation because I was so stressed out at work. It was also my first year out of college so I didn't really know how to balance both. I ended up slacking after getting a few ~640s on practice tests and was really disappointed in myself.

I finally got the courage to study again and started to review my old materials mid-Jan. I've scheduled my test for the first week of May (~2 months left) and I'm getting nervous that I'm not putting enough time in. I'm having a hard time staying focused after an entire's day work.

I'm using the Magoosh 3 month study plan and the MGMAT practice tests which I really like. In my most recent practice test I scored a 570 (36Q 30V), which made me realize that I hadn't improved AT ALL in verbal. It looks like my biggest weakness is Sentence Correction.

Any tips on how to incorporate studying into your work week and staying focused? Would also love any tips on how to improve on Sent. Correction.

My goal is a 680+ and I think I can achieve it.

Thanks!
Achala
Hi Achala,

Where your focus seems to be on Verbal more, I find you have much greater scope of improvement in Quant.

Your score of 32 in Quant can easily be improved to a score of 42 to 45 (Guaranteed) as it's very easy by trying to get a grip on easy concepts of Quant.

This improvement in Quant itself can contribute 90-100 marks in you Total GMAT score which will be a big boost for you to keep motivated and work harder to achieve your final target of 680

A balanced score for you to achive a score of 680 will be Quat-46 and Verbal 39

So you can see how much improvement and where is needed.

The good news is that improving in Quant is easy and it happens in a very short span of time.

The access to good reading material is not the key to success, Absorbing the value addition through that content is.

2 months is not a lot of time to work on focus and content both. You probably need a Discipline and guidence to work on them all ... You might consider taking some classes in that case.

We provide a FREE assessment Live class through SKYPE so if you are interested in taking expert help and an assessment session then feel free to connect.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour