Need honest advice on GMAT and admission!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Need honest advice on GMAT and admission!

by Branham24 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:52 pm
First time posting so I apologize if I miss any cardinal rules and for the length (I wanted to get it all out there)

I'm looking for feedback concerning retaking the GMAT as well as chances for admission into selected programs.

Stats: 29 year old white male. 690 GMAT 44Q, 40V. I haven't received my AWA/IR #'s yet but feel confident. This was my second test, first time, 630 GMAT 38Q, 38V, 6 AWA. Wondering if I should retake the GMAT after getting my applications rolling? I ran out of time during Quant sections on both tests and did not complete 3 questions on my 690 test. I completed the 8 MGMAT books, all of the OG problems and two of the MGMAT CAT exams. Given enough time I think I could probably improve significantly..thoughts? I want to start focusing on applying instead of studying. Do you think 690 is good enough if I am unable to retake prior to round 1/2?

College: University of Central Florida, majored in Chemistry, 3.1 GPA. GPA #'s are low because I played football and was an Air Force ROTC scholarship cadet. Juggling all three was monumentally difficult and my grades suffered, although my Math and core course GPA was closer to 3.4. I attended UCF to play football, but had the profile and academics to get into many of the Ivy League schools. At 18, the thought of taking out $150K in loans was too much (read it was not my academics that pushed me into a tier-2 school), and I was not good enough to play at the academically prestigious schools that are D1 and can offer sports scholarships like Stanford.

I am currently a Captain in the Air Force and have been in the service for 6.5 years. I've been promoted into leadership intensive roles since day 1, and have led groups into combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan as the sole Officer in Charge, directly responsible for 300+ personnel. I have extensive leadership experience, and have been recognized for it countless times. My resume will show numerous stratifications as the #1 among hundreds of my rank across the entire Air Force for the entirety of my career. I recently was picked to join a selectively manned unit that specializes in the acquisition of Space assets. We command a large budget and drive a very complex schedule and workforce. This work has afforded me the opportunity to work with host-nations across the world to include, Qatar, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, and Germany. The civilian equivalent to my position is the owner of an international business with 22 personnel and a $30M+ annual budget.

Extracurriculars: I could write a novel detailing the amount of community and sports involvement that I have been part of during my 6.5 years with the Air Force. Most notably, I was chosen as 1 of 20 players out of a pool of thousands to represent the United States and the Combined Military Services (AF, Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard) for international rugby events. We have traveled all over the United States, as well as Australia wearing the uniform of our country. I was chosen as the Captain of this team and have participated in countless events. As Captain, I am expected to be the team ambassador for the trip, working with national and international partners to secure logistics, financing, support, etc. for the events and be the face of the organization.

In college I played D1 athletics, participated in the Air Force ROTC program, and joined the American Chemical Society.

I am considering applying to:
HBS
Kellog
Wharton
Booth
UCLA
Stern
Columbia

What do you think my chances are? Where do you think I need to make improvements? Is my 690 GMAT enough to get by given my GPA and school? Thank you for your time, and I appreciate candidness!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am
I think you are in very good shape. From my experience, I have seen that military folks, especially military leaders and especially air force folks can punch out of their division. So even with a 690,and just a 3.1 GPA you can do very well.

But a LOT will be riding on your ability to tell a good, passionate, cohesive and logical story, and to set for yourself goals that are both ambitious and achievable. Your essays, and the stories you tell will be the KEY. But luckily, with your vast military experience, you probably have a plethora of fantastic, moving and dramatic stories with a TON of leadership that will put other applications to shame. Use this to your advantage, and I think that even with your ambitious school list you can secure an admit or three.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:02 am
We probably would've taken you (and could've used you) at University of Illinois Fighting Illini Football! :-(
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am
No, I don't think you need to retake GMAT .Your extraordinarily impressive profile more than outweighs your below 700 GMAT and low GPA. Your promising career is filled with amazing leadership stories and extra curricular activities which would definitely win over the Ad Com and they would be more than willing to get you in. All you need to do is to tell your stories in an effective and engaging manner.

Good luck with your application.

Poonam.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:36 am
you have an impressive background. and unless you think you could substantially improve your GMAT score, i dont think it's worth your time. I wrote this artcile, which you might find useful, to help ansr this question: https://www.thefirstread.com/should-i-retake-the-gmat/

your UGPA is on the low side and it wasn't from an academically rigorous program (sorry, you asked for candor). getting into H/W/S will likely be tough. these schools tend to put a great deal of emphasis on grades, and unless you can offset your low GPA with an exceedingly high GMAT (which you haven't done), it'll be challenging to convince them that you can handle the rigor of their coursework.

with all that said, you can play on an enormous set of strengths to get yourself admitted to a program that has more of a gen mgmt focus, such as kellogg, tuck, haas, mich, or duke. i'm not saying dont apply to h/w/s. i'm saying spread yourself out a little bit to give yourself a solid shot at a top program. to me, your biggest asset will be your obvious leadership qualifications. this element is often very difficult for candds from consulting, ibanks and other more trad'l backgrounds to showcase. you can do it in spades, so i'd get super tight on examples you have to demonstrate leadership. next, i'd focus on career goals. transitioning from the military to private sector (if that's what you choose) does not come without challenges. so, be clear about how you'll do it and cite examples for why it's believable.

hope that's helpful,
-james young
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting

Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 am
I'm going to take a different postion here than some of the other posters. I agree that you could do well with much of your list, but if you want to take a stronger shot at HBS, and there is meat left on the gmat bone, I would retake it. The very top from the military love HBS, and you will be competing with top gpas and top gmats along with combat stories. Given you ran out of time, keep flying GMAT practice missions and get the timing down so you can hit 720!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

by Branham24 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:43 am
Thank you all for the feedback. Reading through all the posts in this forum speaks volumes about the members that utilize it. I really appreciate the honest and open feedback. I take absolutely no offense to candor. With the amount of time, money, and energy invested in the application process, I say the more the merrier. Candor will only prove to provide different perspectives and open up weaknesses or angles I can exploit in the process.

Your answers are exactly what I was looking for. Alex, I am def a meat eater...so if I can get my apps started and find the time I am going eat every piece of meat on the bone I can, I may even eat the bone for good measure.

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm
Branham,

Yes that is the spirit and indeed the HBS spirit!

Let me know if I can help you get there.

Alex
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

by RadicalForce » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:10 pm
Hi,

Looking to go to Wharton EMBA in 2013. Have a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering and a Masters in Biomedical Engineering. 6 years work experience with a Fortune 500 Medical device company.

GMAT 700 - 90%
Q 44 - 66%
Q 41 - 92%

Is my quant score too low for a Wharton EMBA?

Thanks!

RF

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:30 pm
Hi RF,

700 is slightly below their average but your quant is a bit of a red flag. Can you improve it?

How was your gpa in your bachelors and masters?
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

by RadicalForce » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:33 am
Alex, Thanks for your reply.

BS GPA is 3.5 - as you know its quant heavy
MS GPA is 3.6 - Mix of Quant and Biology.

I have been in Sales and Operations for the last 6 years. Honestly, my work load would be a huge constraint if I choose to take GMAT again. I can do it but its gonna piss some people off. Is there a way I can make up for the 66% GMAT Quant in the essays? Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

RF

by Branham24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am
I just received my final report, 5.5 AWA and 8.0 IR. All the press on the IR section points to it's relevant insignificance in the first year or two, unless of course you bomb it. However, does an 8 stand out and give weight to my 690? or is it par for the course? Thanks.

Jeff

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:35 pm
RF

Your academic record is solid. I don't think you can "make up" for your quant in the essays, so if you are really time-constrained, then just focus on the apps. Your 700 total score is enough to take a fair shot.

Alex
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178