Need help to improve DS, got GMAT test on 31st Dec !!!! :(

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey Guys,

I gave Gmat 2 months ago and got a pathetic score of 460 (Q37, V16).

Since then, I have finished OG12 thrice, completed OG 10 Quant, GMAT verbal and quantitative review, Kaplan 800.

My scores for the practice tests have been as follows :

GMAT prep1- 580(Q 47, V23)
GMAT prep2- 570(Q 44, V25)
Kaplan 1- 510(Q31, V 23)
Kaplan 2- 540(Q39,V23)
Kaplan 3- 570(Q 44, V25)
Kaplan 4- 610(Q50, V24)
800 score test1 - 570(Q39,V29)

Now, I am going to start with the MGMAT tests series (6 practice tests) and will take 800 score tests as quiz tests.

My problem areas are SC and DS. My aim is to score 660 in the actual exam.

What more material shall i refer to improve my DS especially( I get 8/15 incorrect everytime in the test) :( :(

Can you guys, please guide me how to improve my score further as I am not feeling confident to face the real exam !!!!! :(

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by joannabanana » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:35 am
What books are you using to learn concepts?

You say you need to improve in DS and SC - have you gone through the Manhattan SC book that everyone raves about? It actually does live up to the hype! I was always pretty good at "winging it" in SC. I guess I just have an ear for grammar but I never knew the actual rules. I went through this book and at first was sceptical; it just seemed like too much work learning the concepts when I could usually just look at the sentence and pick out the right answer. I went through it though and after a while everything just clicked! Once you go through the concepts in the book really thoroughly you'll be able to "solve" SC in a methodical way. This really improved my correct rate in SC. I went through the whole book in about 5 days, studying 3 hrs per night.

As for DS - have you spotted what specific question types give you issues? (Geometry, absolute values, equations, etc.) You really should look for that and review those types thorougly. Don't separate DS questions from "regular" (i.e. PS) questions. Once you have the concepts down DS stops being so daunting and becomes as solvable as PS. I again recommend the Manhattan guides for specific math concepts. (I used the "Number Properties" and "Equations, Inequalities and VICs" books because that's where I was struggling but they have them on lots of different topics.)

I hate advertising for one company but the Manhattan guides really ARE good! (And they don't annoy you with stupid jokes like Kaplan does :P ) Btw, I bought all these books in the Kindle format from Amazon and just read them from my computer (you don't have to put them on a Kindle). They are only $10 each, you get them immediately, and learning from a computer screen can be beneficial since you'll be doing your GMAT on the computer.

by joannabanana » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:37 am
Also that really sucks that your test is on New year's eve! Though once you rock it think how much more you'll enjoy the party afterwards! (and if it doesn't go well there'll be plenty of drink around for you to drown your sorrows with ;) )

by aman273 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:39 am
Hi Joanna,

Thanks for the reply.

I have finished doing MGMAT SC 4th edition. I did DS from Kaplan 800, OG-12, OG-10.

I find problem in solving questions of Number Systems, Absolute values.

by aman273 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 am
@Joanna- LOL !!! :D Thats why i chose this date... To party hard in either of the case !!! :D :D

by joannabanana » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:59 am
Ok, that's good that you finished the Manh. SC guide. If you're still having problems what I recommend is to go through the OG questions and for every incorrect answer choice figure out what the problems are. Then go to the answer section and see if you got all the mistakes. The OG doesn't always list every mistake in each answer choice but I think they get most of them. I know this is a lot of work but it really really helps! Trust me you can get to the point where SC is really easy!

Absolute values were covered in the "Equations, Inequalities and VICs" Manhattan book. You don't have to go through the whole book just pick out the sections you're struggling with. Not sure which questions you mean when you say "Number Systems" but you can go through the listings of the Manhattan guides on the amazon website and it'll tell you what's covered in each one (or search online/forums).