Need help on Practice tests.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:590

Need help on Practice tests.

by carllecat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:56 pm
Hey guys,

I just took a GMAT Prep test and scored a 520 (Q34 - V27). I do not want to say that I am dissapointed about my score, but I know I can do better. The B-school I am targeting wants to see a minimum of 550. However, I am aiming for a 600.

I took the test before and scored a 490 with relatively the same score in Q and V.

I did poorly on the 5 first questions of the Quant section and finished strong with the last 12 questions right. In total, I had 16 out of 37 wrong. Out of this 16 wrong, 56% were PS and 44% DS, which tells me that I need to work on the basic concepts. Powers is one of them (got 3 wrong), number properties, factors were questions I got wrong.

In the last 2 months, I went through Kaplan Math Workbook, Kaplan, OG 11 (daily basis), MGMAT Word Problems (used to be my weakness, but now a strength). When I do exercises in the books, it always seems easy and when I take a mock test or the real one, I tend to freeze and panic during the first questions.

Any suggestions in regards with the powers, number properties and factors problems?

As for the verbal part, I realized that out of 40 problems, I failed 19 times to get the right answer and that 42% of these answers were sentence correction and 42% reading comprehension ones. I am looking for resources to improve in these two fields as well.

I was maybe thinking about buying the Manhattan GMAT books on Number Properties, Reading Comprehension and Equation, Inequalities & VICs.

I still have 1 month to go to at least get my target 600 score and I do not want to go crazy and buy anything that would not maximize my study time. Therefore, I would like to get any suggestions from you so I can continue my journey in an efficient and successful way.

Should I buy the Manhattan GMAT books? How can I improve my Reading Comprehension skills in less than a month? How can I better understand number properties, roots, powers and so on within the next 30 days?

Your help is really appreciated.

by carllecat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:38 pm
Hey come on guys I am not expecting a long reply from you, just some sound advices...!

Many thanks,

by carllecat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50 pm
I took another GMAT Prep test today (24 hours after I posted the first message) and scored 560 (Q33 - V35). I thought I did much better in the Quant section, which was not the case. However, I increased my verbal score by 8.

Being a non-native speaker, I still believe I need to improve the reading comprehension and sentence correction parts of the verbal section.

Again I am not dissapointed at my 560 score, because I believe there is still room for some improvement.

I am on a mission to get my targeted 600 score and I would like ot get some feedback from some of you. I usually study for up to 3 hours a day / 7 days a week and I am really committed to achieving my goal.

Any thoughts?

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 pm
You have mentioned that you particularly struggle with powers, numbers, factors etc. If you have MGMAT Number properties book, did you study each and everything patiently and make notes wherever you struggle? If not, then you should do this and revise the topics you constantly struggle with. You will see a lot of improvement in these topics.

If you still don't see any improvement, try to catch hold of your high school math and start from ABC. Its really worth to spend some time this way instead of shelling dollars and dollars for buying expensive books. The basics that you brush with high school math book really does wonders to your performance.

Many people tend to freeze while doing practice tests or actual exam but performing well while just practicing with books. Again, it depends on how you handle yourself well. While doing tests, just try to stay calm and relax. Try searching the forum for stress management topics. I guess this plays a major role in your under-performance.

Good luck with your prep! Feel free to ask further questions.

by carllecat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:14 am
Thank you papgust for the feedback. I ordered the MGMAT book on Number Properties a couple of days ago and it should be delivered to me pretty soon. Have youused this book, I know that the book on Word Problem has helped me a lot.

I will take 2 more CAT this weekend and I think I am going to get accostumed to the test which is a good sign.

Thanks for your help.

by carllecat » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:57 am
I took a MGMAT CAT today and scored 590 (Q39 & V33). I am satisfied with the result as I can see my progression from my 520 and 560 scores last week (GMAT Prep) to the MGMAT test I just finished.

I felt than the Quant questions in the MGMAT CAT were way harder than tose in the GMAT Prep. As for the verbal part, I would say it did not seem different to me. I am also glad, because I always write the essays as if I was taking the real test and both essays were a walk in the park!

My test is in 3 weeks and I am planning to take as much CAT as possible until then. Actually, I take 2 test during weekends and spend the rest of the week to review my mistakes and work some extra problems in the OG.

Therefore, I am still up to take 6 tests until December 14 and the last one is going to be the remaining GMAT Prep one.

Any thoughts???

Community Manager

by papgust » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:39 pm
Don't burn out by taking too many tests before the real test. On the day of the exam, you may feel tired and it may impact your performance.

Take 1 test per week. And remember to take GMAT prep tests without fail. Concentrate on these tests first. By the time you finish this and if you have some time, then go for MGMAT tests.

by carllecat » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:28 am
papgust wrote:Don't burn out by taking too many tests before the real test. On the day of the exam, you may feel tired and it may impact your performance.

Take 1 test per week. And remember to take GMAT prep tests without fail. Concentrate on these tests first. By the time you finish this and if you have some time, then go for MGMAT tests.
Thanks for the input papgust. In your opinion, is it better to exclusively (or almost) go through the new MGMAT books I bought (Number Properties, Equations, Inequalities & VIC's and Reading Comprehension) or doing CATs and spend the rest of the week reviewing my errors + minor review of my books?

I have no more than 3 weeks left and I want to maximize my score and I am scared that learning new concepts and techniques might drag my score down.

pap or gurus of this site?

Many thanks,

Community Manager

by papgust » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:47 am
carllecat wrote:
papgust wrote:Don't burn out by taking too many tests before the real test. On the day of the exam, you may feel tired and it may impact your performance.

Thanks for the input papgust. In your opinion, is it better to exclusively (or almost) go through the new MGMAT books I bought (Number Properties, Equations, Inequalities & VIC's and Reading Comprehension) or doing CATs and spend the rest of the week reviewing my errors + minor review of my books?

I have no more than 3 weeks left and I want to maximize my score and I am scared that learning new concepts and techniques might drag my score down.

Many thanks,

It is tough to answer to this question. Some people prefer to review all the concepts once before the exam and some prefer to learn by taking tests.

If i were you, i would take a test every week (say saturday or sunday) and review all questions (both right and wrong). I would analyze all wrong questions, make a list of all concepts based on which i got them wrong and go back to materials and review the concepts once again. After reviewing the concepts, i will test my understanding with few problems related to the concepts and i would then take another test. These activities should span atleast a week.

Again, make sure that you exhaust all GMAT prep tests without fail. They are the best accurate score estimators.

by carllecat » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:26 am
papgust wrote:
carllecat wrote:

Many thanks,

It is tough to answer to this question. Some people prefer to review all the concepts once before the exam and some prefer to learn by taking tests.

If i were you, i would take a test every week (say saturday or sunday) and review all questions (both right and wrong). I would analyze all wrong questions, make a list of all concepts based on which i got them wrong and go back to materials and review the concepts once again. After reviewing the concepts, i will test my understanding with few problems related to the concepts and i would then take another test. These activities should span atleast a week.

Again, make sure that you exhaust all GMAT prep tests without fail. They are the best accurate score estimators.

It makes a lot of sense to me. Quality over quantity, I like it.
Thanks my friend, will do!

by carllecat » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:10 am
papgust wrote:You have mentioned that you particularly struggle with powers, numbers, factors etc. If you have MGMAT Number properties book, did you study each and everything patiently and make notes wherever you struggle? If not, then you should do this and revise the topics you constantly struggle with. You will see a lot of improvement in these topics.

If you still don't see any improvement, try to catch hold of your high school math and start from ABC. Its really worth to spend some time this way instead of shelling dollars and dollars for buying expensive books. The basics that you brush with high school math book really does wonders to your performance.

Many people tend to freeze while doing practice tests or actual exam but performing well while just practicing with books. Again, it depends on how you handle yourself well. While doing tests, just try to stay calm and relax. Try searching the forum for stress management topics. I guess this plays a major role in your under-performance.

Good luck with your prep! Feel free to ask further questions.
I am amazed to see how much I have improved within the last week in regards with number properties and equations, inequalities and VIC's I now believe that I am much more prepared to take my next CAT and even decided to take my GMAT exam a week before because I am geting ready to hit my target score.

Thanks papgust for the input, it was much appreciated and best of luck for the rest of your journey!

Community Manager

by papgust » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:30 pm
Glad to hear this cardlecat..! Confidence is the key in your performance in the end of day. Best of luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jamie_700 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:37 pm
Just spotted your post and it seems like we're fairly close in terms of our GMAT level. I did my first GMAT prep test 2 days ago and I got a 590 (Q41 V31). I'm looking to aim for anywhere between 650-700 with 2 weeks to go.

Here's some of my thoughts:

Maths - Picking numbers for variables and backsolving from the answer choices tends to be a fairly good trick and at times can be even quicker than solving the actual question from algebra.

Verbal - Sentence Correction is usually an area that you can really improve fairly easily. I realised that once you do enough of them, you begin to spot errors quicker and gradually even look to see ways in correcting the sentence. Have you tried downloading the Manhattan GMAT flashcards? They're pretty useful.

Hope this helps! And best of luck with your studies. Looking forward to read some more of your updates.

by carllecat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 am
Hi there,

I took my last GMAT Prep today and got a 590 (Q44 V28). The MGMAT books about Number Properties and the one about Equations, Inequalitues and VIC's has helped for sure. I would never have imagined to be able to score 44 in the quant section! In the analysis of my incorrect answers, I realized I have a great number of Data Sufficiency wrong.

In fact, out of 16 incorrect, 11 were the Data Sufficiency type and mostly Geometry (3), Word Problems (4) and Number Properties (5).

As for the verbal part, I also improved my Reading Comprehension skills by reading The Economist and try not to fall asleep while reading...! I got 16 incorrect answers in that section too and it was almost evenly splitted between the Reading Comprehension (4) - Critical Reasoning (5) and Sentence Correction (7) sub-sections. I still have 1 week to go and I need to improve my sentence correction skills. I have already been through the MGMAT Sentence Correction guide 2 times... Should I refresh my memory???

Any advice for my final week preparation s I can reach my 610 goal?

...Wow, I can't believe I went from Q34 last week to 44 this week, this is so great! I will still need to work on some math concepts this week, but any sound advice for the verbal part with one week to go?

Many thanks,