Need help in solving this CR Question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

Need help in solving this CR Question

by hemant_rajput » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:08 am
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:49 am
C for me. If C is true then the fact that the shorter wings is a dominant trait will be nullified.
The fact that the flies are kept in jars will play an important role over genetic traits. While on the other hand genetic trait is independent of any experiment.
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:53 pm
Hi vinay1983,

You are correct!

The logic behind this type of CR prompt is fairly common on the GMAT - it's referred to as "all other things being equal" - and it means that if you focus on one idea (and study it, or change it, or manipulate it, etc.), then everything else stays the same.

In this case, you should notice that all of the studies use fruit flies in small glass containers. This assumes that everything that occurs in nature regarding a fruit fly is also going to occur in the small glass container - it assumes that "all things are equal". The scientists have deduced that small wing size is the dominate trait, but only by studying fruit flies in small glass containers. The logic demands that the scientists assume that the small glass container didn't affect the fruit flies in any discernible way. Thus, C is correct.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]