Need Help - GMAT score - 630 (Q-42, V-34)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
hi, need help. just gave the GMAT and scores are Q-42, V-34 and 630 overall. The last 3 mock that i gave - my scores were : 650,640,670. In all the mocks the Q scores were between 40-43 while V scores were 36-39.

I want to reappear after a month and improve my score by atleast 50 points. FFeeling a mental block as from the mocks to the real test... i have not been able to cross even 45 on Q. Although in verbal i was consistently over 36, but in GMAT that also feel to 34. to add to the problems, my quota of leave from office is also over and will have to now balance office and studies...

given the situation above, Will appreciate any advice from the experts here at the forum or from fellow GMAT aspirats or those who have cracked the GMAT...

thanking in advance...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by testprepDublin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:08 am
The only way you can improve on your score is through practice. You must identify your weaknesses and turn them into strengths. Use any free resource you can find and do all the free online GMAT practice tests. Take note of the sections you are weakest in and what you are doing wrong in them.

There is no need to panic yet as most students do the GMAT more than once and most improve their score the second time round.
Deirdre at testprepdublin.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shivgan3 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 am
Do OG12 Quant a 100%, also for more questions try Quantitative Review..If you want more then move to NOVA GMAT bible..
There are lots of things you can do, but first find the areas that gives you problem. Is it:
Word problems
Data Suff
Probability
P n C
Geometry

After that try to get back to roots and understand things and then again go to tougher problems.
Generally understanding things from very very basic and derivations are helpful.

Best of luck,
Never Give UP!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:22 am
Hi There

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.