Need advise on RC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Need advise on RC

by vaivish » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 am
Hi,
I have been following this forum from long time to improve my verbal. I need advice on following:
"¢ To improve RC, many people have indicated to read FT, Economist. My question is, when we read an article on say FT, do we sit and analyze things like main purpose/idea. Further, in case of FT, because it is financial newspaper, it is relatively easier to find the above. In actual GMAT the passages are from myriad areas/sectors. So what should be the strategy to read & analyze these extra readings?

"¢ When I read any RC passage/FT/ Economist article, I generally get involved/ lost in the passage. The general advice on the forum is to be disconnected with the passage so it becomes easy to find the answers. At the same time, it is difficult for me to get main idea after first read of article. Can anybody tell me on how to remain disconnected and find the correct answers?

"¢ Also I have seen DanaJ's video on RC passage. Albeit connector strategy works on several passages, I have come across passages where there are minimal/no connectors, in those cases it becomes difficult to find the answers. Please tell me the strategy to kill RC in those passages?

"¢ I am from non-native English background. So I guess, reading is the best strategy for me to improve RC. But based on what mentioned above, I personally feel that reading is not helping me to improve RC. It does help me to get acquainted with new topics but to beat actual RC, I am not finding its use. Can somebody suggest, an appropriate way to read from the point of vew of killing RC?

"¢ Almost all the times, I solve RC by elimination strategy instead of getting down to correct answer. This strategy helps me on simple/medium levels passages. Parallely, I am trying get into the strategy of directly selecting right answer instead of elimination. But it is not helping me as I am making lot of mistakes. Can somebody please help to achieve getting down to correct answer?

"¢ Also, I am able to eliminate 3 out of 5 options. Its last 2 options that either takes lot of time or I make mistake at this level. So the first step of eliminating is fairly successful but the last step of selecting right answer is not? Can somebody help on finding right answer in last 2 options?

"¢ Can anybody suggest additional reading because FT/Economist/WSJ becomes monotonous in terms of topics such as finance/economy/company news etc. to get feel of actual GMAT passages.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:05 am
The reading suggestions that people typically give are meant to supplement your practice (when you're doing something other that studying).
If you're not seeing much benefit to the extra-curricular reading, I'd focus on reading RC passages only.

However, if you are looking for other GMAT-type reading suggestions, I have listed several in my free RC video (lesson #10 at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension). This video is part of an entirely free series of videos that cover all aspects of preparing for RC questions.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com