Need advice for Application

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need advice for Application

by joshhowatt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm
Good Afternoon,

I am beginning the process of applying to grad schools and I am a bit worried about my application package/story. I wanted to hear a counselor's opinion on my chances of acceptance, and what I can do to put together the most convincing application.

A bit about me:

I'm a white male, 32, gay (not sure if this matters). I attended the University of California - Irvine and received a BA in Theater (GPA - 3.005 - more on this later). In regards to my GMAT score, I am aiming for at least 700 (45/40 range - practice tests have been around there and I still have a month and a half before the test).

So my story goes that I went off to college, where I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I started in Pre-Med (hated it), and did fine my first year. However, it was during my second year that my father passed away (suicide). As to be expected, my grades plummeted. My brother became heavily involved in drugs, a white supremicist gang (long story). My mother was devistated. I was barely holding together. During the end of my second year, I changed my major to Theater, got decent grades, and was on the Dean's list quite a few times. I ended up graduating with a 3.005 after 5 years of struggling to bring my GPA back up (my father's passing was extremely difficult on my family and me).

Next, I moved to New York and persued the dream. However--as it most often does--the dream did not pan out. I worked for a major hotel in Times Square at the Front Desk for 6 years (the money was suprisingly good, and so regretfully I didn't take opportunities for advancement, although I was the Shift Lead and had the highest upsell record and enrollment in loyalty program 4 years in a row). This is a huge deal in the hotel, however I'm not sure how this translates to Grad Schools. Last year I transferred to a coveted Sales position at an even more prestigious hotel (very difficult to get into). Along the way within my company I cross-trained in several of our sister properties: 2 years in Marketing, 1 year in Copywriting, I took company sponsored Graphic Design/Marketing Courses at UCLA (all A's). I have 2 bosses that will no doubt write rave reviews for me. I have quite a few extracurricular going for me, as well: I was published in 6 literary journals, I wrote a novel (that never got picked up), I have been an accomplished pianist since childhood where I won countless competitions and recitals. As you can see, creativity and marketing is where I shine. I was a gymnastics coach and team captain in college, and was an assistant manager at a coffee shop during the same period. I am the first one in my family to graduate from college (let alone grad school), and took part in a Leadership Development Program at UCI.

So I'm at a point now, where I'm trying to weave everything together to exemplify leadership (ie: holding the family together after my father's passing, etc.) My doubts are that my GPA is clearly lacking, and also I'm not so sure that schools are going to be thrilled that I was a Theater major. Also I don't have any official management roles, mostly implied leadership roles, and those outside of work. I want to apply to top schools, but is it a lost cause? I have no doubt I could craft an outstanding essay, I'm just worried about how to phrase/spin the content. I wanted to apply to Columbia and NYU (both close to me), Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Cornell, and Booth. Boston University and Boston College (both backups). I will be applying first round. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I failed to mention that I began this whole application process 3 years ago, but ran into some medical issues. Which are now resolved. It's been a difficult life to say the least. But hey I'm still here. And that's somehing. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:38 pm
I think you have some good stories.

1. With your dad passing away and other familial issues, go ahead an put that into an optional essay, which every school offers. Don't make it a sob story however. It's best to say how you moved on from it and came out ahead.

2. You can add your experience on going to New York and working in the hotel since you did provide leadership skills on the job such as the higher sell rates, etc. The implied leadership roles certainly are there, and most MBA students aren't managers when they come in. When I wrote my essays, they were as short as possible but got my point across. No business school wants to read a 10 page essay.

3. With a 700 you are competitive to all these schools. Just know that if you want to avoid the integrated reasoning part of the GMAT, take the real test by June 2 (I believe that's the date).

4. At 32 you are a little on the older side for an MBA, but you aren't too old for it by any means.

5. You did say that you're gay, and I assume that you're openly gay. It won't hurt your chances of admission, but it won't increase your chances up the roof either. At the end of the day the strength of your GMAT, GPA, recs, essays, and interviews will be what makes or breaks you in the process.

Hope this helps!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by joshhowatt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 am
Thanks for this. It wasn't for you, I would have had no idea about the integrated section. Now I'm totally freaking out, as my test is scheduled for after the introduction date. UGH! Just something else I need to start studying. Thank you for the advice though. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 am
check your private messages
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:25 am
joshhowatt wrote:Thanks for this. It wasn't for you, I would have had no idea about the integrated section. Now I'm totally freaking out, as my test is scheduled for after the introduction date. UGH! Just something else I need to start studying. Thank you for the advice though. :)
I wouldn't worry about IR too much. Do some sample problems to see what's up with them. However, I don't think schools will use that to reject you if you don't do too well because percentiles right now many not be available for some months.