Need Advice. 680

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Need Advice. 680

by djkvakin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:14 pm
So I took GMAT again today and got 680(V40 Q43). My last attempt 2 months ago was 670. In between I studied sentence correction from MGMAT, Kaplan 800, questions on this forum, and took 3 additional MGMAT CATs and 2 practice test from GMAC. In my MGMATS I scored 700 in all 3, and for GMAT practice tests I scored 730 and 740 in the week prior to the test. I only saw 2-3 repeat questions from the previous 2 attempts prior to my first test, and therefore was really confident in my ability to score over 700 on the real test.
I already applied to Darden for 2010, and had my interview, and now I am just waiting for the decision on March, 26th.
Given my practice scores, should I retake it again? I need a higher score because the internships I plan to apply for (granted I get in) require scores above 700. A score above 700 will also help me compete for scholarships, and possibly improve my chances if I get waitlisted.
Now should I take a mental break for a week, and take the test again in a month? I just want to try to avoid becoming a designated GMAT test taker, and hope to one day put this behind me...
Any advice is appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:33 pm
djkvakin wrote:So I took GMAT again today and got 680(V40 Q43). My last attempt 2 months ago was 670. In between I studied sentence correction from MGMAT, Kaplan 800, questions on this forum, and took 3 additional MGMAT CATs and 2 practice test from GMAC. In my MGMATS I scored 700 in all 3, and for GMAT practice tests I scored 730 and 740 in the week prior to the test. I only saw 2-3 repeat questions from the previous 2 attempts prior to my first test, and therefore was really confident in my ability to score over 700 on the real test.
I already applied to Darden for 2010, and had my interview, and now I am just waiting for the decision on March, 26th.
Given my practice scores, should I retake it again? I need a higher score because the internships I plan to apply for (granted I get in) require scores above 700. A score above 700 will also help me compete for scholarships, and possibly improve my chances if I get waitlisted.
Now should I take a mental break for a week, and take the test again in a month? I just want to try to avoid becoming a designated GMAT test taker, and hope to one day put this behind me...
Any advice is appreciated.
Give a shot after a break. You are pretty close to your 7+ but I wonder that your score improved only 10 points from last 670? There must be some significant difference in next attempt.

by djkvakin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:21 pm
Just to keep you guys updated, I decided not to give up, and take the test again. Let's hope third time is he charm. I have purchased 3 MGMAT math books and if I score on the real test Q47-49 (my practice test results), and keep my verbal at least at 40 (I never went below 40 in any of my practice tests, and in any of my real attempts), I should score above 700. My best result was 740 on official prep with Q49, V41.
I haven't scheduled the test yet, but I will aim for mid April. Is there another resource you would recommend?

Thanks,

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Jmitchell » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 pm
How are you studying for your Gmat? Are you keeping track of your answers in practices tests and on the OG questions? I originally scored a 680 when I first took the gmat. I had taken several practice tests and used a lot of books + a class, but I think I neglected to really focus on where my weaknesses in quant and verbal were. For my retake a month later,I went through every single OG question (revision 10 and 11) + plus extra V/Q. I used excel to keep track of every question I missed or guessed on.
I then used my excel sheet to figure out what types of questions/areas I was not getting consistently. I studied those areas, then retried all the problems I missed a few days before the test to make sure I really knew the concepts. I think this really helped me get my quant score were it needed to be.

My verbal score also increased but that was a bit of a fluke because I studied almost not at all from the previous test. I used the sentence correction bible a, aka the Manhattan Sentence Correction book, bit to review concepts. I was already rather good at everything else verbal.

Focus on the type of problems you are missing and I am sure you can increase your score to the 700+ mark.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by piyushdabomb » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:38 pm
Do you have a sample spreadsheet? Did you type it out on the computer? How do you knwo which type of problem it was?
-------------------
Sincerely,

Piyush A.

by djkvakin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:57 pm
Jmitchell wrote:How are you studying for your Gmat? Are you keeping track of your answers in practices tests and on the OG questions? I originally scored a 680 when I first took the gmat. I had taken several practice tests and used a lot of books + a class, but I think I neglected to really focus on where my weaknesses in quant and verbal were. For my retake a month later,I went through every single OG question (revision 10 and 11) + plus extra V/Q. I used excel to keep track of every question I missed or guessed on.
I then used my excel sheet to figure out what types of questions/areas I was not getting consistently. I studied those areas, then retried all the problems I missed a few days before the test to make sure I really knew the concepts. I think this really helped me get my quant score were it needed to be.

My verbal score also increased but that was a bit of a fluke because I studied almost not at all from the previous test. I used the sentence correction bible a, aka the Manhattan Sentence Correction book, bit to review concepts. I was already rather good at everything else verbal.

Focus on the type of problems you are missing and I am sure you can increase your score to the 700+ mark.
Thanks, man! I will use the spreadsheet, to track the types of questions I get wrong. For now, I am revisiting word problems, number properties, and geometry guides, as well as focusing on taking 2 additional MGMAT CATs, additional problems (25 per topic area), and a few Kaplan CATs.

I feel like my main focus should remain quant, since I score pretty decent in verbal; I shall focus 85% of my efforts on math skills.

GMAT Score:730

by bigmonkey31 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am
if you are at Q48.. I really think you can hit Q50. I was doing q47-48 on MG GMAT CATs... and I truly think that although the MG GMAT CAT is good prep/practice, it is NOT a good representation of the real deal. I got 50 in my last GMAT Prep practices and Q50 on the real GMAT.

You just need to be careful and think thoroughly through the tougher problems, and you'll be at Q50 in no time!