Need a 570 to be 700

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need a 570 to be 700

by gottabeathard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 am
Hi everyone,

I have took the GMAT 2 months ago and scored 570 (Q47, V21). As obvious, big difference between quantitative and verbal performance.

I know that I am doing fairly in SC, but in CR and RC, I tend to lose all the way.

I am planning to take the GMAT again in Feb and I was wondering whether 2 months is an enough time to reach 700 or not. I have the luxury and the capability to study an aveage of 3 hours daily.

The Books I have:
-MGMAT (8 Books)
-OG11, OG12, OGQuant 2, OGVerb 2
-Kaplan Verbal Workbook, Kaplan 800
-PowerScore CR Bible

Please share with me any strategy that I can use as I feel a bit lost and unable to create a plan for myself. And I kind of feel down and almost losing faith in achieving 700 in GMAT. Thanks in advance for the support and I appologize if this anyhow sounds redundant.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:22 am
Firstly, don't prepare for the GMAT with an apprehensive heart :) As Tony Robbins would probably say "Tell yourself that you're a 700 material and that you deserve that score and keep telling yourself that everyday. "
For CR, what strategy did you follow ? Did you firslty go through the different types of errors tested( by referring MGMAT CR book/Powerscore CR Bible) and then do a sufficient number of practice problems testing that error.
For example, did you go through the chapter on "assumptions" and then do all the "assumptions" questions in OG11 and OG12. or did you simply attempt all the CR questions in the OGs sequentially ?
For RC, how did you go about reading passages and maintaining your concentration and comprehension level while reading ? I guess I have addressed some queries related to RC on my debrief You may want to go through the posts. Secondly, did you practice a sufficient number of passages or did you just get smug with the strategies ?

If you're able to score the same scaled score on the quant section, you will still need to score another 17-18 points on the Verbal to take you to a 700. That kind of improvement is a little difficult within such a limited timeframe however, that doesn't mean that it is impossible.
If you can probably take the number of daily hours you devote to the GMAT from 3 to 5, that may be better. However don't sit for more than 1.5 hours at a stretch. You may want to spread those 5 hours in study periods of 1.5 hours so that you are able to maintain concentration and able to retain information.
I also highly suggest maintaining an error log and keeping a tab on your progress.
Keep participating in the forums here -that is also one useful tip. :)

by gottabeathard » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:39 am
Hi Raj,

For CR, I went through MGMAT CR and its OG12 reference. I am currently reading through powerscore CR and I am getting additional insights. Yes, I was doing the all the questions for each type, following the MGMAT CR. Was that a mistake?

I truly believes that I can go near 700 once I improve in CR, not a very simple task I assume. I am trying to force in as many CR problems as possible.

As for RC, I know it can't happen in a short time. I am reading novels continuously. I will see your querries once i finish off the CR. Honestly, I am submitting to the fact that my RC score will be the lowest and that's why I am forcing myself to be as good as possible in CR.

Thanks for the insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by davedecibel » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:34 am
gottabeathard wrote: As for RC, I know it can't happen in a short time. I am reading novels continuously.
more than novels, wouldn't you agree that good press would be a better kind of reading? i'd suggest some good business newspapers like the wall street journal or the financial times, and some quality magazines as well, like time or the economist

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gsbjake » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm
Hey gottabeathard,

I think you have a great plan going and I certainly think that 2 months is long enough to get from 570 to 700. Just stay motivated and knock it out buddy. PM me if you have any questions.

JL

by gottabeathard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:15 am
Thanks guy. I was offline finishing off PowerScore CR Bible. Gotta say it is pretty good guide, minding the few supported problems. IMHO, it and MGMAT CR do not replace each other. And I think that it builds up, through chapters, better than MGMAT does. Just my oppinion.

I live in Kuwait so I am not sure where to find a strong and serving reading materials, although I get it: top known business magazines.

I am planning now to go over KAPLAN Workbook and OG to go over as many CR problems as possible. And will build up from there.