my profile.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

my profile.

by semidevil » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:28 pm
I know this section is usually for people who want to get into the top schools. I might not fit the category, but would like to get some suggestions too.

My profile
-Male, asian-american, 26 years old
-3 years of professional work experience(1 year as an insurance adjuster, received promotions at least twice per year, had numerous chances to 'acting supervisor for my boss, and now officially promoted as a supervisor leading a group of 8).
-GPA: 2.6 Bachelors of Arts in mathematics. last 60 hours is probably also around the same. :-(

Misc information(unsure if this can be worked into my essay to offset the gpa).
-worked through college in one job for 4 years
-graduated high school in 3 years(the standard is 4 years).

------------------------------------------------------

So my biggest concern is my GPA. Obviously, it looks terrible. Reading through this forum, my goal is to score an awesome GMAT(700+).

Assuming that I do achieve this 700+ GMAT, is it possible to even get into a decent MBA program(by decent, I mean a local state university and above)?

i'm looking through a lot of college sites and a lot of them state they look at the application in it's entirety, but then a lot of them state that they want 'strong' academic background.

--------------------------------------------

From a GPA perspective, I definitely do not qualify, but from a work perspective, I feel I fully qualify based on my success with my company. And if all goes smooth, my GMAT will prove me too.

I'm going to set the bar very high for myself so I can do the best I can(including the possibility going to a top school) , but I also want to be realistic.

Can any one give me some feed back or suggestions?

*I know there is always to option to take courses for an alternate transcript, but I do not think I have time to get a complete transcript just because I want to start in Fall 2009.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 pm
Dear semidevil,

Your academic aptitude is measured by both your GPA and GMAT score. So, if you can score in the 700s on your GMAT, then you will mitigate your GPA. Likewise, working through school and being a little younger than your classmate will mitigate your performance in college. You should not necessarily rule out schools until you know where you you stand on your GMAT, but if you score above a 650, then I think you will have plenty of options in the top 25-50 range of programs.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me