my gmat score is 710 and UCONN's class's avg gmat is 604

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
my gmat score is 710 and UCONN's class's avg gmat is 604 but still they put me in waitlist... what could be the reason .. my work ex. is just 2yrs in a software company....and my toefl score is 107
on what basis i choose the right collgs so that i can get admission
When the whole world seems to be against me and anything I touch becomes poisoned, when people think of giving up as the best solution, for me, giving up is the hardest..... :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:08 pm
This is an impossible question to answer.

GMAT alone is no indication of admission guarantee. The average just says that your GMAT falls into their range.

There are many other factors: Your essays, Your Interview, The clarity of your goals, Your work experience and leadership experience at work and outside of work, your passion for the school and of course, class diversity.

If they put you on waitlist, it means your profile is acceptable to them. They surely like you. but there may be other factors. Does the school encourage contact from waitlisted candidates? If yes, go through the https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/waitlist and see good waitlist approaches. There are many articles by premier consultants which may help you in converting that waitlist to an admit.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm
Dear suryapal,

Vineesh is on target here--admissions decisions are not based on a GMAT score alone. Just because your GMAT is above average does not guarantee anything. I highly encourage you to reach out to UCONN for feedback on your waitlist status and what you can do to strengthen your chances to achieve a positive decision. It is possible you will need to submit another essay, recommendation and/or interview. Also, go back and read through your application. Perhaps you did not communicate your rationale for an MBA clearly or why UCONN is the right program for you? Once you have done a thorough analysis of your total application, then you will be able to come up with your waitlist strategy.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me