must be true

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

must be true

by hey_thr67 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 pm
A detailed lab analysis of a meteorite recently discovered in Antarctica revealed that
the meteorite has geological characteristics common to the planet Mars. To date, scientists
have not found these characteristics anywhere other than on Mars. Using a
technique called "acid-etching," scientists found that the meteorite contained fossilized
remains of single-cell life forms.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

(A) The fossilized remains indicate that life exists on Mars.
(B) The scientists have evidence to support a hypothesis that the meteorite came
from Mars.
(C) The meteorite represents a substantial step forward in human knowledge of the development of life in the solar system.
(D) Undiscovered meteorites currently exist in Antarctica.
(E) "Acid-etching" is necessary to confirm the existence of fossilized remains in
meteorites.

OA is B. Why not E ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 am
Answer E claims that "acid-etching" is necessary to confirm the existence of fossilized remains in meteorites. However, there might be also other scientific methods available to prove the existence of fossilized remains in meteorites. The question does not state that "acid-etching' is the only method available, which means it is useful but probably NOT NECESSARY.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:54 am
hey_thr67 wrote:A detailed lab analysis of a meteorite recently discovered in Antarctica revealed that
the meteorite has geological characteristics common to the planet Mars. To date, scientists
have not found these characteristics anywhere other than on Mars. Using a
technique called "acid-etching," scientists found that the meteorite contained fossilized
remains of single-cell life forms.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

(B) The scientists have evidence to support a hypothesis that the meteorite came
from Mars.
(C) The meteorite represents a substantial step forward in human knowledge of the development of life in the solar system.
(E) "Acid-etching" is necessary to confirm the existence of fossilized remains in
meteorites.

OA is B. Why not E ?
My reasoning: Using "Acid-etching", Scientists found the that the meteorite contained fossilized remains of single-cell life forms. But "Acid-etching" may not be necessary (there might exist some other techniques as well, but in this case scientists used "Acid-etching") to confirm the existence of fossilized remains in meteorites. Moreover, B summarizes the argument better than does E.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:59 am
why not A or C? Please post OE. I think I miss sth.
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! (Rocky VI)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kumar_mk84 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:40 am
IMO, B. The scientists can use this to support the hypothesis that the meteorite came from Mars.

This is a "Must be True" question. So, we need to have support from the passage. Not sure if I am 100%right, though.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm
Gaurav 2013-fall wrote:why not A or C? Please post OE. I think I miss sth.
A is too strong. We can't guarantee that the fossilized remains mean that life exists on Mars. Note the use of present tense.

C does not fit because the presence of fossilized remains does not necessarily tell us anything about how life developed.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Followed by:2 members

by hey_thr67 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm
I had posted this problem to differentiate between an assumption question and an must be true. Don't you think E could have been the right answer coupled with corresponding conclusion, had this question be an assumption question.

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:21 pm
hey_thr67 wrote:I had posted this problem to differentiate between an assumption question and an must be true. Don't you think E could have been the right answer coupled with corresponding conclusion, had this question be an assumption question.
I don't think we'd have enough information to determine that acid-etching is absolutely necessary.

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:18 pm
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:
A is too strong. We can't guarantee that the fossilized remains mean that life exists on Mars. Note the use of present tense.

C does not fit because the presence of fossilized remains does not necessarily tell us anything about how life developed.

I get it Bill! Thanks.

If A was: The fossilized remains indicate that life existed on Mars. Would it have qualified?
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! (Rocky VI)

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:43 am
Gaurav 2013-fall wrote:
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:

I get it Bill! Thanks.

If A was: The fossilized remains indicate that life existed on Mars. Would it have qualified?
It would be close, but I don't think it's 100%. If we look at the wording again:

"...revealed that
have not found these characteristics anywhere other than on Mars."

We can't rule out the possibility that there is some unknown source of meteorites that would also have those characteristics. Is it likely that it came from Mars? Yes. Is it guaranteed? I don't think we can safely say that.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hultt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:48 pm
Please clarify between B and D

from Mars.
1. there is no evidence to support that meteorite came from mars. questions says they could not find similar characteristics anywhere -this could be lack on findings of scientists part but it no where relates that meteorite has surely come from mars. though characteristics are similar but it could be similar to some other planet also as scientists have still not explored all the options to say it belongs to mars for sure......hence there is no concrete evidence.

1. one has found. so atleast one existed there. there could be more or not. but surely one was there. so this statement hold true.

please help to clarify..thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by guitarstrings » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 pm

As stated by bill, I dont think statement A is very strong [using the term "indicate"]. Infact this statement collectively concludes all the facts/assumptions present in the passage

Facts/Assumptions present
1. Meteorite has geological characteristics common to mars
2. Meteorite contained single life cell forms

Statement B - looks like part of this conclusion only.
Statement C - no discussion of development of life in solar system present in the passage
Statement D - No discussion on number of meteorites present in antartica
Statemetn E - Passage doesnt emphasize on validating test methods

by hultt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:59 am
Any Help Please !!!!
hultt wrote:Please clarify between B and D

from Mars.
1. there is no evidence to support that meteorite came from mars. questions says they could not find similar characteristics anywhere -this could be lack on findings of scientists part but it no where relates that meteorite has surely come from mars. though characteristics are similar but it could be similar to some other planet also as scientists have still not explored all the options to say it belongs to mars for sure......hence there is no concrete evidence.

1. one has found. so atleast one existed there. there could be more or not. but surely one was there. so this statement hold true.

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:09 am
hultt wrote:Please clarify between B and D

from Mars.

B doesn't say that the meteorite definitely came from Mars; it says that there is evidence suggesting that it came from mars. From the scientists' current evidence, the evidence would seem to point to that. As I mentioned above, it is possible that the meteorite came from a different source, but the current evidence does support the scientists' hypothesis.

D doesn't work because we can't guarantee that there are other undiscovered meteorites. It is entirely possible that the one being discussed was the only one in Antarctica.

by hultt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 pm
Thanks Bill for the reply.

I perfectly understood your reasoning and 100% agree with that but i am confused why i adopted the other line of reasoning and what is wrong in that :(