Msc Marketing Management at ESADE vs. Duke Fuqua MMS?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I'm currently on a school search and these two are my top picks right now. I'm a Communication Arts graduate, taking up a second degree in European Studies with a Business track. I want a pre-experience/Masters in Management(or Marketing Management or something similar) and not an MBA because I want to study more practical, "soft" management/business skills and marketing is something I want to get into.

I like the Marketing Management course at ESADE and if admitted, I want to take it along with a CEMS master. The program's been around for awhile and is widely-recognized in Europe, but I'm not too sure about the rest of the world. The Duke MMS program on the other hand is pretty new, but I like that it's in North Carolina, in an English-speaking country (though I also like ESADE because I want to practice Spanish, I'm just saying that living in an English-speaking country would be easier), and the Duke brand is recognized all over the world.

I'd love to get anyone's input on these two schools and programs and what would be some pros/cons of each. Thanks! :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by beatthegre » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 am
I am not sure of your background, given EU or US, but I took Duke MiM over the LSE MiM as Duke Fuqua is a very strong professional business school. It is #3 in the States for marketing, and if that is what you want to get into chances are it will give you some great resources.

In addition, imo Duke and Fuqua are stronger brands globally than ESADE.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:56 am
While it is true that globally, Duke-Fuqua has more brand power, you should also take into account what your plans are for the foreseeable future. If you would like to work in Europe, then ESADE might be right for you. Also, polishing/learning Spanish is no small feat! This is particularly useful if you do not know any other foreign languages.

CEMS is also pretty much globally recognized and it's a rock solid brand here in Europe. It's one of the best programs (if not the very best) for a MIM and I dare say, it's better (depending on which school you choose) than some American degrees. The American masters in management are new on the market compared to their European counterparts.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by beatthegre » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 am
yes, very true indeed. I forgot to add this: LOCATION.
my response is coming from my point of view, from someone who is getting ready for a US career start. of course, if u are set on the EU, getting a degree, doing the CEMS makes more sense.

by baume7 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 am
thanks so much for your replies! Indeed one of the things making me lean towards ESADE is that I have a dual citizenship (Filipino and EU). I eventually want to return to the Philippines, but I do want to get some work experience abroad as well before coming back to Asia.

by goldenegg » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:42 pm
Both schools have strong brand names in their location so major differentiating factors would be location, chance to learn another language, class size, average age and experience of classmates and the nuances in their programmes. I know that ESADE CEMS programmes lays great emphasis on gaining as much practical experience as possible while on the programme. Their Career Services also have strong links with companies like L'Oreal & Google just to name a few. Google is an ESADE CEMS partner and have recruited at least 22 graduates over the last 3 years.