Most interns who work for pay hold positions...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Most interns who work for pay hold positions that require few skills, little experience, and also little hope for permanent placement.

(A) little experience, and also
(B) little experience, and with
(C) little experience, and offer
(D) carry little experience, and
(E) carry little experience, and offer

Note that I found this question WITHOUT an answer. I went with C but does anyone have any idea (with an explanation) as to what it is?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by siddhu161 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:38 pm
The answer C you chose seems to be best suited among remaining all. I could also come up with the same.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 pm
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:Most interns who work for pay hold positions that require few skills, little experience, and also little hope for permanent placement.

(A) little experience, and also
(B) little experience, and with
(C) little experience, and offer
(D) carry little experience, and
(E) carry little experience, and offer

Note that I found this question WITHOUT an answer. I went with C but does anyone have any idea (with an explanation) as to what it is?
Hi!

This sentence is all about parallelism.

When we have a list, we have to make sure that all the parts are stated correctly. When each part of the list has the same modifier, you can just put that modifier at the beginning of the list. However, when different parts require different modifiers, you must put the relevant modifier in front of every item.

Here, the list is:
require few skills, little experience, and also little hope for permanent placement.
Our "global" modifier is "require" - so it gets read into all 3 portions. Accordingly, the original sentence really reads:
require few skills, require little experience, and also require little hope.
That last part makes no sense, so we can rule out (a).

(c) is equally problematic, since it only adds a new modifier in front of the last term but leaves the middle term empty. As a result, (c) technically reads:
require few skills, require little experience, and require offer little hope.
Only (e) properly modifies the entire list. Since each item has its own modifier, (e) correctly reads:
require few skills, carry little experience and offer little hope.
Choose (e)!

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course