Modifier

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Modifier

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 pm
The powerful meteorite last year in view of NASA's largest telescope, Harmony 2, provided information that contradicts longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities'' understanding of this phenomena.
(A) The powerful meteorite last year in view of NASA's largest telescope, Harmony 2, provided evidence
that contradicts longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force
(B) The powerful meteorite last year in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, provided evidence
that contradicts longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and thus possibly
forcing
(C) When a meteorite's powerful explosion occurred in view of NASA's largest telescope, Harmony 2, last
year, it provided evidence that contradicts longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit
radiation and thus may possibly force
(D) Last year, in view of NASA's largest telescope, Harmony 2, a meteorite's powerful explosion provided
evidence that contradicts longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and thus
possibly forcing
(E) Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has
provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and
may thus force

The ans i s A...but whats wrong with E ?..somebody please explain..

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu May 19, 2011 7:37 pm
Thnaks for this question if you ask

Who provided the information? By looking at A ? I would say either explosion of met-rock or Telescope... Even I thought A is wrong...
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 pm
My pick is Op E, what's the source of this question??? i still think Op A is incorrect...IMO talking about meteorite explosion is more logical in this context than just meteorite...

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Fri May 20, 2011 6:14 am
My answer would be E. In fact, I eliminated A first. Even, the position of 'last year' in A appears awkward to me. Expert comments would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 am
E has multiple issues

1. Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities' understanding of this phenomena.

Or, Modifier, modifier, modifier, main clause

Any sentence with a series of modifiers constructed like this is always a suspect. You never know which is modifying what.

2. Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities'' understanding of this phenomena.

The tense issue is evident. Present perfect has provided does not resonate with last year.

3. Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities'' understanding of this phenomena.

Notice how the articles are different from A, creating a subtle but important meaning shift.

Option A on the other hand is quite okay except for the weird placement of last year, which should ideally have been at the beginning of the sentence. It must be said though that the introduction of the noun explosion in 3 of the choices is extremely strange. Generally nouns are not introduced in answer choices. Also A will definitely make more sense if explosion is added to it. I guess the question creator was in some sort of a hurry!
scio me nihil scire

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:38 pm
atulmangal wrote:My pick is Op E, what's the source of this question??? i still think Op A is incorrect...IMO talking about meteorite explosion is more logical in this context than just meteorite...
yes atul option A looks awkward...Source : 2minutegmat.com

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 pm
niksworth wrote:E has multiple issues

1. Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities' understanding of this phenomena.

Or, Modifier, modifier, modifier, main clause

Any sentence with a series of modifiers constructed like this is always a suspect. You never know which is modifying what.

2. Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities'' understanding of this phenomena.

The tense issue is evident. Present perfect has provided does not resonate with last year.

3. Last year, in view of Harmony 2, NASA's largest telescope, the powerful explosion of a meteorite has provided evidence contradicting longstanding theories about how gamma ray blasts emit radiation and may thus force a reevaluation of the scientific communities'' understanding of this phenomena.

Notice how the articles are different from A, creating a subtle but important meaning shift.

Option A on the other hand is quite okay except for the weird placement of last year, which should ideally have been at the beginning of the sentence. It must be said though that the introduction of the noun explosion in 3 of the choices is extremely strange. Generally nouns are not introduced in answer choices. Also A will definitely make more sense if explosion is added to it. I guess the question creator was in some sort of a hurry!
Thanks for such a long explanation..but still m not convinced with the OA..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun May 22, 2011 6:51 pm
Choice A without "last year" (or with a different position for it) is great. With it, it's terrible and violates all but the most free-form and poetic forms of English.