Modifier doubt

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Modifier doubt

by saurabh2525_gupta » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm
Amy is feeling WELL.
(My interpretation)Here WELL is used as an adverb because it modifies feeling e.g.
Amy is feeling BAD.
Amy is feeling LOW.
Amy is feeling DISTURBED.

But the text says it modifies the noun Amy. I can't understand this, please help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:610

by singh181 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:38 pm
saurabh2525_gupta wrote:Amy is feeling WELL.
(My interpretation)Here WELL is used as an adverb because it modifies feeling e.g.
Amy is feeling BAD.
Amy is feeling LOW.

But the text says it modifies the noun Amy. I can't understand this, please help.
Hey,
the above examples are telling/describing more about the Subject/Noun.
For ex:Amy is feeling DISTURBED. --> Telling about the state of "Amy"

Usually, Adverbs end with "ly". For Ex: Amy is quickly ran to the store. Here "quickly" tells more about the verb "run".

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:44 am
Adjectives: Modifies noun and pronoun only

e.g. Amy is feeling WELL.
WELL (adjective) modifies Amy (noun).

Adverb: modifies pretty much anything other than noun and pronoun.

e.g Amy walks SLOWLY.
SLOWLY (adverb) modifies walks (verb). (how is amy walking? slowly / swiftly etc)

Hope that helps.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members
GMAT Score:780

by SticklorForDetails » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am
Amy is feeling BAD.
Amy is feeling LOW.

Amy is feeling "well" means that Amy is feeling "well" (the adjective) as opposed to "ill" or "unwell."

Amy is feeling "good" would mean that Amy feels that she is a good person, which is generally not what we mean. For example, after robbing a bank successfully, if you ask me how I feel, it is wrong to say that I feel good, since actually I have been very bad. However, I would feel quite well, and eager to spend my winnings!

P.S. Anybody wanna rob a bank with me? I have the plans drawn up very well.... ;)
Experienced tutors, customized study plans, personalized service.

www.GothamTutors.com/adam.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by saurabh2525_gupta » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 am
SticklorForDetails wrote:
Amy is feeling BAD.
Amy is feeling LOW.

Amy is feeling "well" means that Amy is feeling "well" (the adjective) as opposed to "ill" or "unwell."

Amy is feeling "good" would mean that Amy feels that she is a good person, which is generally not what we mean. For example, after robbing a bank successfully, if you ask me how I feel, it is wrong to say that I feel good, since actually I have been very bad. However, I would feel quite well, and eager to spend my winnings!

P.S. Anybody wanna rob a bank with me? I have the plans drawn up very well.... ;)
Hi SticklorForDetails,

Thankyou for replying.

I am still not getting this one. When we say "Amy is feeling WELL". Well is telling us something about how Amy is feeling, i.e. she is feeling well. So I think it is modifying the verb "feeling".

Please help.